User User name Password  

Wednesday 18.9.2024 / 21:03
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - software discussion > accidental formatted external drive
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Accidental formatted external drive
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Barond14
_
3. February 2013 @ 00:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
A little while back I was re-installing windows xp, and accidentally checked to defragment my external drive. I wanted to know if there were any programs I could try that might be able to recover some of the files. Lot fo video edits, and design files I'd like to try and get back. Thanks.
Advertisement
_
__
Barond14
_
3. February 2013 @ 01:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I apologize. I meant to say formatted.
ddp
_
3. February 2013 @ 11:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Barond14
_
4. February 2013 @ 19:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
These programs look good but my computer wont recognize my hard drive. When I plug it in it beeps liek its connected liek things normally do on xp. But it wont show up under my computer. First time I plugged in it in a long time it went through the found new hardware procedure and said ready to use, but still didnt show up. Its connected now and the light is lit up green but nothing.
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
5. February 2013 @ 00:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
use another case or install it as a slave

Barond14
_
5. February 2013 @ 00:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Can you explain to me what that means, or how to do that?
ddp
_
5. February 2013 @ 11:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
take the drive out of current drive enclosure as might be bad & either get new enclosure or direct connect to motherboard as secondary drive.
Barond14
_
5. February 2013 @ 20:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yikes. Sounds like I'm gonna end up breaking it.
ddp
_
5. February 2013 @ 22:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
nope. probably 2 screws holding 1 end with the usb & power connectors in it onto enclosure, take those 2 screws out, pull that end out & drive should pull out.
Barond14
_
6. February 2013 @ 02:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ddp:
nope. probably 2 screws holding 1 end with the usb & power connectors in it onto enclosure, take those 2 screws out, pull that end out & drive should pull out.
Then just try and directly connect it from there...once the casing is off? Just like I would normally do, just with the casing off of the actual drive?
AfterDawn Addict
_
6. February 2013 @ 05:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Google the name of the drive, e.g 'HP remove case' WD, Lacie etc, for a YouTube video.
Some are simple and obvious, others are put together by Kung Fu masters.
That's how I got the drives out of my Lacie and HP cases.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 6. February 2013 @ 05:32

ddp
_
6. February 2013 @ 17:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Barond14, yes as long as it is sata drive & sometimes ide drive.
Advertisement
_
__

_

1 product review
_
9. February 2013 @ 16:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Before you go pulling things apart

If it has had its volume wiped it may not show in my computer.

Go to administrative tools and check the disk management section to see if the disk exists but just has not been formatted / volume created.

If it shows up then just create a new partition that should solve the problem without ripping things apart.
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - software discussion > accidental formatted external drive

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork