User User name Password  

Saturday 7.9.2024 / 21:06
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - software discussion > best free avi compressor/converter
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Best Free AVI Compressor/Converter
  Jump to:

Posted Message
matt72yard
_
8. January 2014 @ 10:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi, I have a bunch of AVIs I ripped from DVDs sometime ago. They are huge files, but the audio is in sync and they look ok. But I want to make them much smaller in megabytes.

I tried using Any Video Converter free edition, with many AVI settings including h264. The files are still too big, but what is worse, the audio gets increasingly out of sync. Every time.

Any other suggestions? Ideally it would be a free utility, small and lightweight, that has one button: compress. And it just works. But instead I am finding a million buggy, poorly written malware infested pieces of crap that want to add toolbars and God knows what else, and then don't even work!!

Thanks,
Matt

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 8. January 2014 @ 11:25

Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
8. January 2014 @ 12:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Try AutoGK.
Load file or files.
Set (Step3) 'Select output size' to 'Target quality 75'.
matt72yard
_
8. January 2014 @ 13:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks. I am giving it a shot.

How long does it usually take to run for a standard movie? I asm because it has been at step "1 of 8: Analysing Source" for over 30 minutes? (I am wondering if it crashed or if it is just slow.)

Cheers,
Matt

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 8. January 2014 @ 14:31

AfterDawn Addict
_
8. January 2014 @ 14:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Hi, I have a bunch of AVIs I ripped from DVDs sometime ago. They are huge files
Larger the source file, the longer it takes.
Also if the audio has to be converted (Advanced options) or a custom or predefined output size is used takes longer too.
walterchalie
_
24. February 2014 @ 22:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
How about macx video converter free edition?
ddp
_
24. February 2014 @ 23:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
walterchalie, how is that used with windows when that program is for a mac?
Advertisement
_
__

_
brandonyork359
_
9. March 2014 @ 07:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
what about Handbrake?
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - software discussion > best free avi compressor/converter

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork