User User name Password  

Friday 18.10.2024 / 04:30
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps2 - hardware boot discussion > magic 3 and v7 ps2 - not reading any discs!
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Magic 3 and V7 PS2 - Not reading any discs!
  Jump to:

Posted Message
scootabug
_
2. June 2004 @ 17:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey,

Last night I put a Magic 3 chip in my V7 PS2. I turned it on this morning to find that it won't read any disc. It recognises that it has a disc, but it won't boot the disc automatically when I start the PS2 from standby mode, or just try selecting the disc from the browser. I've tried original PS2 discs (which were obviously working prior to magic 3) and also a backup of one of these discs.

Also, I've got a high pitched squeal through the TV speakers. I've found a possible explanation for that one already, but any feedback would be appreciated all the same.

What are some probable reasons for no disc reading?
- laser adjustment?
- incorrect wiring?
- bad mod chip?
- something else?

Also, I noticed that the 3.3V and 5V wires needed to be different wire to the rest - but I used the same wire for all. I have seen in photos of other people doing the same? A tad weird. Can anyone clear this up?

Cheers. Thanks in advance,
Scott.
Advertisement
_
__
qbano
_
3. June 2004 @ 03:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i would say bad wiring is the problem...open it up again and check everything over...and yes the the power wires ( + and - ) need to be bigger..if you dont have any..just use 2 of the wires you are using...my first mod didnt work for that same reason..as soon as i put bigger wires it worked great..
protocold
_
3. June 2004 @ 16:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i just put a magic 5 chip into my v7 ps2. i've got the same exact problem. anyways, i'm looking into the same things: laser adjustment, incorrect wiring (and in my case with the v5 - protecting my R wire), etc.

interesting, my ps2 recognizes -any- disc as a PS2 (or so it says in the browser), weather it's a dvd/dvd-backup/ps2/ps2-backup/cd. but, it never gets past the browser screen.

anyhow, i'll input my $.02 after a little more research and digging into the ps2 yet again.
scootabug
_
3. June 2004 @ 16:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'll give the thicker wires a shot this weekend. We double checked everything very carefully as we went, with a 10x magnifying glass. We didn't cross any legs or anything like that, but i'll double check. I noticed that my ground wire is a lot longer than recommended, however I have seen other photos of Magic 3 installs where those wires are nearly twice the length of mine. Should that have a huge bearing on things?
scootabug
_
3. June 2004 @ 16:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

Check the length and gauge of the 5v and Gnd wires. My chip is basically in the middle of the board. What's the go? Cheers guys. I really really appreciate your help.
protocold
_
3. June 2004 @ 20:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i took mine apart, whipped out the multimeter and started plugging away to see if I could find any bridges. also checked with a magnifying glass -- nothing really alarming. anyways, still getting the red screen after resoldering a couple points that didn't look perfect. my wires are a bit shorter than yours, but, yours are routed a heckuva lot nicer than mine.

also, i was originally using 24 gauge wire for my ground/power, but... it wouldn't solder so easily, so I switched to using 3-30 gauge wires twisted together, which soldered onto the board a lot easier.

anyways, in my case, i'm hearing a buncha clicking from dvd-drive. i'll be plugging away at it, will let you know if I find anything that could be the cause.
scootabug
_
3. June 2004 @ 20:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
"yours are routed a heckuva lot nicer than mine". Unfortunately, that's not my board. That's the one I was using for an example of the length of the wires. They're very long!

Check out this page for some general troubleshooting: http://forums.psxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13496

Good idea with the multimeter for checking crossed wires. All I need to do is borrow someone elses :-)

I'll keep you posted on my progress. Party on!

fly_low
_
3. June 2004 @ 21:42 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
just a thought
you say it wont load discs from standby or browser
guessing these are backed up games,
with the magic 3.1 you have to hit reset once the game is in the system and the splash screen has appeared
burned games wont load from browser at all with the 3.1
put the game in let the system load to the splash screen then hit reset real quick

no advertising here
scootabug
_
3. June 2004 @ 23:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey fly_low,

Thanks for the tip. I checked the board and found that I had 2 legs on the chip with MNOP crossed. Fixed that up with a knife blade.

Now I all discs (genuine DVD, DVD-R and CD-ROM) are auto-loading from sleep mode. That's great. But I now have a new problem :-)

When the PS2 is running, either in a game or even just in the browser, the system locks up then shuts down into sleep mode. The Red reset LED flashes afterwards. Any ideas on this one? Haven't found a solution yet.

Thanks for all the help thus far!
protocold
_
4. June 2004 @ 04:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
alrighty, i'm going to check my MNOP wires (they're the same on the magic 5) and I'm actually going to resolder them. if I don't have luck with that... I'm going to back out of my installation and get it working sans-mod -- and go for another install after it's clean :/

anyways, glad to hear about the MNOP. cause almost everything I'm finding (usually out of 2 or 3 results with google) in my research is pointing to the bios.

...i can't wait to see this bad-boy boot up a backup :)

time to break her open again :) will be back to share.

(edited: said "v5" instead of "magic V")

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. June 2004 @ 04:59

protocold
_
4. June 2004 @ 06:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i'm looking at the guts of my ps2 right now... and it looks as though i've got a bridge on my bios chip (along the MNOP chip legs), just a -tiny- one right where the legs meet the board. i wouldn't've been able to see / test it with the multimeter if i didn't remove all the wires (too much obstruction of my view / obstruction of getting the clunky tips of this cheapo multimeter on the right place)

in my case, it's the leg for wire M and the leg between M & N.

will be back soon with a report....
protocold
_
4. June 2004 @ 07:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
took a step backwards, now i'm just getting a black screen (no 'swirling electrons' or anything) when I turn on the ps2. anyhow, will report back when i've got something better goin' here :/

edit: turned out that one wire ( P ), had come loose. which must've caused the just black screen.

anyways, still getting the infamous red screen, bah! ain't quittin' yet :)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. June 2004 @ 07:52

protocold
_
4. June 2004 @ 08:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i just got a DVD movie (a backup) to -almost- play. at least i followed the boot instructions (e.g. holding eject), and it showed the 'play' icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen for a second, and then... nothing, a black screen, and just hearing the laser jumping around a lot.
protocold
_
4. June 2004 @ 09:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
alright scootabug, don't fret man. seeing we've had some similar problems... you'll be glad to know you probably didn't toast your ps2 :) i just backed all the way out of the installation, and the clean ps2 worked like new.

really was hesitant to clear out all that work, but... honestly i feel better knowing the machines works!

...now for the second attempt :) will be trying for the shortest possible wires, pretty routing, triple checked connection points, will try to borrow my g/f's digicam and snap a couple pics for comparison if ya want.

--> edit: reinstall results

sooo... i reinstalled the chip, and what? ...almost the same thing :/ well, i get the red screen when i turn on from standby, but... if I by-pass the modchip (e.g. hold reset while booting) I can load up Original PS2 games. But... no luck with copies. And, I'm almost positive you should be able to boot up originals and backups without having to bypass.

anyhow, sorry for dirtying up the thread with my experiences! if I can figure out what's to solve any of these will be back!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. June 2004 @ 14:28

scootabug
_
6. June 2004 @ 16:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey protocold,

Sorry to leave you hanging for the last couple. It was the weekend here in Australia and I haven't been in front of a computer since.

With the multimeter, i just put two peices of wire off the bottom of the probes (whatever you want to call them) and used that to test them. The probes were way too thick to use to test the legs on the BIOS.

Easy fix for the shutdown/flashing red LED. I had it on my workbench open (not in the case) and I didn't have the case fan connected thinking it wouldn't really need it considering it was a cold day and there was a ton of air-flow. I proved myself wrong. I guess it was over-heating and must turn itself off as a safety thing. I put it all back together just to see how it'd go, with the case fan of course, and it hasn't done it since.

Your last post sounds like you're pretty close. Have you tried different backups? It could be a media issue. Or maybe you need to adjust your laser azimuth and what-not?

Good work pulling everything out and starting again. I was very hesitant in doing that. Luckily I didn't have to. I did think though that everything would probably be okay.

Just a thought - are you 100% sure you are wiring the chip in the right places? Triple-double check you have the right instructions for your version. If you didn't, that'd really slow you down.

Have you tried thicker/multiple wires for the 3.3V and 5V points?

Despite the fact that everything's okay for me, I'll stick around on the board until you're "home and hosed". It's always good to have a second opinion!

Cheers.
protocold
_
6. June 2004 @ 17:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
scootabug, thanks for heading back :) appreciate that you'd stop by to see how I was doing! most definately.

great idea on attatching wires to the multimeter.

i found an alternate point for my 3.3V (as the original point is really hard to solder to), but.. i'm still using tripled-up 30 guage wire for them -- I should definately try this 24 gauge again that I have sitting on my desk :)

also, really good point on double checking that the wires are hooked up to the right places. also, should really check that diagram to make sure i have the right version -- sure as heck looks like my version, but... ya know, i never doubled check that ;)

...thinking I might have a buddy look at the wiring too to see if they can see any mistakes. a second eye doesn't hurt.

oh yeah :) i took a photo of my install as it lies now:

http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=doug&pid=137437

thanks again scootabug, took a day's break from working on the PS2 to clear my head on the subject, will probably break back into her tomorrow :D

scootabug
_
7. June 2004 @ 01:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Nice work with taking some time off. Nothing worse than working endlessly on something with little result. Just makes you tired and makes it hard to think. I'm a computer tech, so I've been down that road far too many times.

I checked out your pic. That's some pretty tidy wiring (you did say it would be "pretty routing"! :-). I notice on your BIOS chip (4 wires: MNOP) that 7 and 8 look like they're crossed. Could just be the pic however. Worth checking after all, that's all my problem was.

Is it possible to try another chip? Supposing you got it from someone local that is.

When you check your wires, what mode do you have your multimeter on? I had mine on 200 Ohms and got a reading of 0.1 or 0.2 (from memory) if there was a good connection. What sort of result are you getting?

I tested the legs of my BIOS chip in this pattern, just to make sure 100%. I tested Leg 1 and 2, then Leg 2 and 3, then Leg 3 and 4 and so on.

This is a big guess, and is unlikely, but maybe the 3 x 30 gauge wire is too much resitance? A long shot. Have you tried with 1 or 2, or to go the other way, 4 or 5? Getting desperate there though, I think!

Also as a way of double checking, I put one probe of the MM on pad A on the chip and touched the other MM probe on every other pad to make sure no wires were short circuiting. If you went right through each pad like that, or at least half of them you'd have tested each one at least once against every wire (i think!)

Have you tried using a disc cleaner to clean your drive?
protocold
_
7. June 2004 @ 14:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thanks again for the suggestions :) wish i could try another modchip... I ordered this one online, and it shipped from canada (I'm in the US, but, only 200 miles from the location it was shipped from) and it took almost 20 days to arrive :/

i've got the ps2 open, and I went ahead and methodically tested with the multitester (it only has one setting for testing ohms... a straight wire tests at about 200 ohms, other random points on the board and the pads on the chip will test about 3.5 kOhms)

Pins 7 & 8 tested ok (3.5 kOhms) -- sure look like they're crossing in the pic! good eye.

Anywho, methodically testing each connection for itself, and with it's neighboring points and contact on the motherboard can't be a harm.... plus....

I did find something :) I don't know if this happened on this time taking the ps2 apart, or if it's been this way since I reinstalled the chip, but... One wire (on the back of the board) was loose! My "H" point. So... I got that back on there and am hoping for this to be the monster in the attic!

top side of board:
http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=doug&pid=138524
(2 meg image)

bottom side of board:
http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=doug&pid=138523
(1.6 meg image)

I'm an IT guy myself, I'm a software developer... so I can't say i'm any amount of a hardware/electronics guru! But... I can sympathize, getting your head wrapped around something a little too much never helps -- gotta look at it from a distance sometimes :)

alright, so i always save the suspense.... i'm going to try it now, and I'll update this post when I get it back together :D

update: same thing is still happening :/ red screen on any disc (backup/orig) from plain bootup, if i bypass the modchip (e.g. holding reset), I can get the ps2 originals to boot.

the weirdest thing now... is that if I have a memory card in the card slot above controller 1 I'll see the gray "blocks" on the intro when the ps2 is booted, if I don't have a memory card in, I don't see those blocks! but... I do see the rest of the intro.

anyhow... starting to think it's a bunk modchip if I've checked this thoroughly and am still having troubles :/ alright, brainstorming on what to do next... maybe try a magic 3 :) thinkin' about it :)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. June 2004 @ 15:15

Advertisement
_
__

_
scootabug
_
7. June 2004 @ 16:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I noticed on Pic 138523, that your wires are stripped back quite a distance. I think (going by the pic alone) that the wire in the middle could actually be shorting out on the pad below it. Personally I would be shortening the stripped section down to the bare minimum, no pun intended. That sort of thing could be enough and is no different to crossed legs on the BIOS chip.

Does your multimeter have a tone feature? That being that when there is a connection it makes a buzzing/beeping noise. Mine didn't, but one I had once did and that's a great way to <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=test&v=56">test</a> out crossed pairs of whatever. Shouldn't beep at all, but if it does, you know there's a problem.

Tried adjusting the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=laser&v=56">laser</a> or at least cleaning it?

Another thought: the PS2 boards are covered with some kind of resin. With my board, I actually scraped the pads (little <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=gold&v=56">gold</a> squares, like on pic 138523) back a little back just to make sure there was good <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=contact&v=56">contact</a>. Don't scratch a hole through it though! I used a stanley blade to do it (sharp knife, not a butter knife!)

The gray blocks are weird. I haven't seen that one, or read anything about it so I have no comments other than ignore it until everything else has been exhausted.

Any way of finding someone local that does mod chips? Even for the xbox? I'm pretty sure it's not illegal to mod an xbox at the moment so you might have some luck. There's a good chance that they've done PS2's and might spot ya problem straight off.

Good luck!!!

Ed - Just looking at a couple of points on ya chip (1 left from RST and 3 left from RST). Check out the length of the bare wire. You really should make them as short as possible (like 1.5mm). What appears to be T, 3 left from RST, looks long enough to actually touch the legs on the chip of the mod chip itself. That's bad. Fix every spot up where you can see something like that and see how it goes. Cheers.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. June 2004 @ 16:41

Related links
For more PS2 discussion, please visit our sister site, Blasteroids.com
Read our PS2 backup tutorial & information package

Related forum topics Posts Last post Forum room
WATCH: DVD player used to hack PS2 3 16. July 2020 News comments
First PS2 games on PS4 available now including GTA, Twisted Metal 10 13. December 2015 News comments
Sony: PlayStation 4 very likely to surpass PS2 in profitability 19 10. June 2014 News comments
ps2 can display 3 1. June 2014 PS2 - General discussion
how to mod a ps2 1 16. May 2014 PS2 - General discussion
Two PS2 Slims - One Accepts Swap Magic, one doesnt... All Detail inside 1 1. May 2014 PS2 - DVD backup discussion
How to burn PS2 games with Free McBoot 2 20. April 2014 PS2 - Software boot discussion
PS2 Hard Drive Loader 1 1. April 2014 PS2 - General discussion
Convert from PS2 to TV format? 1 4. March 2014 Convert video to another format
PS2 AR Max Hardware problem 4 21. January 2014 PS2 - General discussion

afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps2 - hardware boot discussion > magic 3 and v7 ps2 - not reading any discs!

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork