User User name Password  

Friday 18.10.2024 / 04:35
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps2 - hardware boot discussion > magic v / v7 -- only boots media when bypassed
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Magic V / v7 -- Only boots media when bypassed
  Jump to:

Posted Message
protocold
_
4. June 2004 @ 14:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I installed a magic 5 in my v7 ps2, and it won't boot ps2 backups or originals when turned on normally (skips to the browser screen quick and says 'no data' then jumps to the red screen -- insert a ps2 disc). So, for the heck of it, I tried booting a ps2 original (factory pressed dvd-rom) using by-pass (e.g. holding down reset until blue eject light comes on) and it worked like a charm. However, it had some troubles with DVD movies, oddly, it would play a DVD backup movie choppy/wrong, and it wouldn't play the one original DVD movie I tried.

Any ideas what I might want to look at?

Does anyone think that I should wrap the R wire in a ground? I read that on some thread out here somewhere (forget where, sorry). It's already as short as possible (really only a couple millimeters of play).

Also, does anyone think the problem could be that instead of using a heavier gauge wire, I tripled up on 30-gauge kynar for 3.3V and Ground?

TIA, any input is appreciated! :)
Advertisement
_
__
Icemonkey
_
4. June 2004 @ 14:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You shouldn't have to do that. Check the connections to the BIOS and try to route the wires to it in such a way that they are not tangled together. This will prevent 'signal bounce' between them.

PS2 - v8
Mod - Magic V
Burner - CenDyne (Pioneer) DVR-A05
Media - Anything Cheap

Gamecube w/Broadband Adapter
Phantasy Star Online
Animal Crossing Loader v1.4
Phantasy Star Uploader v1.1
Gamecube ISO Ripping Server v1.0.0.29
protocold
_
4. June 2004 @ 15:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
rock on, thanks for the input. sounds good, especially seeing when I was finished, I wasn't so fond of the routing for points M through V (which I believe are for the bios). I will re-route/re-solder that row, thanks again! Will be back with results!
protocold
_
5. June 2004 @ 09:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
here's a photo of my install now,

http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=doug&pid=137305
(warning: 1.73 meg jpeg)

anyhow, i'm about to put it back together now. i still think wires M,N,O,P look kinda shabby (routing and soldering to pins).

will be trying it in a minute, if anyone sees something that looks off, i'd appreciate the input, thanks!

edit: results with above picture....

still no luck. is behaving about the same. now it's 1 out of 2 times that it will boot the ps2 original even in by-pass mode. i'm going to try to redo NMOP again.

also of interest... if I have a memory card in the PS2, on boot it shows me the boot intro normally, but... without the memory card, the intro is somewhat corrupt, well, at least it's missing the 'extruding grey blocks'.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 5. June 2004 @ 10:39

Icemonkey
_
5. June 2004 @ 10:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well, it looks ok although looks can be deceiving sometimes. I saw you have a little burning at the +3.3v contact on your motherboard. I found that point difficult to solder to and I used the one shown on the DMS3 installation diagrams and it works fine.

PS2 - v8
Mod - Magic V
Burner - CenDyne (Pioneer) DVR-A05
Media - Anything Cheap

Gamecube w/Broadband Adapter
Phantasy Star Online
Animal Crossing Loader v1.4
Phantasy Star Uploader v1.1
Gamecube ISO Ripping Server v1.0.0.29
protocold
_
5. June 2004 @ 10:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
thanks icemonkey for the good eye :) yeah, definately a difficult point to solder! will look up the 3.3v solder point for dms3 and give it a go. great call! thanks again, will check back after giving it a shot.
protocold
_
5. June 2004 @ 11:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
alright, tried the alternate 3.3v -- much easier to solder to, thank you! unfortunately, still the same results, but good to know it's not the 3.3v. will try redoing MNOP again, and be back.
protocold
_
5. June 2004 @ 16:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
alright, another update, here's what my install is looking like now:

http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=doug&pid=137437
(warning: 1.98 meg)

Got the MNOP wires looking a lot better (nicer routing, they don't even touch), moved the ground to an edge (i was having trouble soldering to the recommended ground point). will update this reply when i try it out.

update: still the same symptoms after a test. anyhow, will probably take her apart again and recheck the work yet again.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 5. June 2004 @ 17:14

mjdziurd
_
11. June 2004 @ 12:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
protocold. I have the exact same problem as you. I have a version 7 ps2 with a magic 5 installed.

I have reinstalled the chip several times each time getting the exact same problems as you list. If you find a solution please post and if u find that the chip is faulty post as well. I would really like to know.
Advertisement
_
__

_
protocold
_
13. June 2004 @ 18:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
mjdziurd, I actually was on vacation and haven't gotten to work on my ps2 in about a week! ...still no luck getting it working (same symptoms as above) last time I worked on it. I'll be digging back into it ASAP :) Chart any progress on your mod here, we'll try to keep digging at the one!
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps2 - hardware boot discussion > magic v / v7 -- only boots media when bypassed

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork