User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 07:39
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > home theater pc > building media server....have lots of questions!
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Building Media Server....have lots of questions!
  Jump to:

Posted Message
frightking
_
15. October 2013 @ 14:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
My plan is to build a dedicated media server from a PC I have laying around. It will operate with a quad core AMD processor, 4 GB of RAM, a small 120GB internal harddrive for startup and software and to start with a 1 TB harddrive for videos/music (I would like to make it expandable up to 6 or 8 TB in the future). I would like to use the Ubuntu OS with MediaPlex Server to feed the videos out to all my devices. It will be hardwired into the wireless router. My questions are these: 1) does this sound feesable? Does anyone have any suggestions on it? and 2) I want to be able to access the Media Server via a windows laptop to transfer movies into it and for general maintenance...is this possible? (I beleive someone said this is called being "headless"?)

This is a new project for me and am trying to save a little $. Also I am pretty much a n00b so....be nice folks. If I have posted this in the wrong place I would be greateful if someone could let me know.

Thanks folks!
Advertisement
_
__
ddp
_
16. October 2013 @ 15:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yes on both accounts & enable filesharing between pc & laptop.
frightking
_
17. October 2013 @ 11:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
So is there somewhere that I can get directions on how to set up the "headless" part of this...meaning being able to access this from a laptop operating with windows to be able to transfer files to the server or do general maintenance?
ddp
_
17. October 2013 @ 15:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
what windows are on the laptop & pc?
Advertisement
_
__

_
frightking
_
17. October 2013 @ 19:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Windows 8 on the laptop and Ubuntu on the Server.
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > home theater pc > building media server....have lots of questions!

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork