User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 07:42
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > televisions > buying a new tv, what do you have?....
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Buying a new TV, What do you have?....
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Wyattspop
_
16. March 2013 @ 21:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I need to buy a new TV and fast. Normally I'd spend a week or more reading reviews and then shopping it out, but it's time-sensitive in this instance. My little boy's TV has had it and I want to replace it immediately. He's getting my 36" Vizio (it's our bedroom TV, I have a $25K home theater downstairs with the serious equipment, 7.1 and even my center channel is the size of a small child (-;/
1) What's your take on 3D-TV's? I've heard mixed reviews..
2) LCD or Plasma? I can fit a 40" in the cabinet if that helps. I have an LCD and a DLP now. Steered clear of Plasma at my last purchase when I saw night scenes had a green tint on all Plasmas.
3) How about brand? I liked the Vizio I'm giving my son except it was a 720, my mistake. I'm a big fan of all Samsung screens, Toshiba maybe..I'd love your opinion.
Cheers

Wyattspoppa
Advertisement
_
__
ddp
_
16. March 2013 @ 22:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
don't get plasma because of burnin issue & higher energy requirements compared to led\lcd screens.
Jeffrey_P
_
16. March 2013 @ 23:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ive owned the same Plasma 42" since 2004. No burn issue here. Use a screen saver or blank screen.

A few years back LED and plasma were pretty equal overall picture quality. Not any longer, plasma has taken a huge step forward leaving LED in its wake.

Biggest problem with Plasma technology is power consumption. Ive had it mounted on a VESA wall mount since the beginning. It helps dissipate heat very well. I use the exhaust side of my shopVac to keep the components clean as a whistle.

If a potential buyer doesnt have a lot of space or plans to mount it in a Cabinet (which is a bad idea idea no matter what technology you are using), go LED.

Jeff
JST1946
_
17. March 2013 @ 01:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have 3 Samsung TV's and 1 Sharp in my house.Three are mounted on wall brackets. The other one in an entertainment center.They all work great

20 Year U.S.Army Veteran.Vietnam 1969-1972 101st Abn.Div.
Wyattspop
_
17. March 2013 @ 10:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ddp:
don't get plasma because of burnin issue & higher energy requirements compared to led\lcd screens.
Originally posted by ddp:
Thanks DDP, always enjoy your posts.. Yeah, I've seen the burn-in on one of my own screens, not something I could live with and I actually care about power in my home, it's 105 in summer, imagine our electric bills. All that plus weak blacks sold me on LCD, now to find the best one. I like the smart TV concept, web access in bed would be cool, I'd also like to try a 3D but many early-adopters haven't exactly raved about the results so far. I think they release new tech while still working out the bugs. So I guess it's down to brands..If money were no object, would you go with w Sammy, Visio, Sony Bravia, Tosh..?

Wyattspoppa
Wyattspop
_
17. March 2013 @ 10:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Jeffrey_P:
Ive owned the same Plasma 42" since 2004. No burn issue here. Use a screen saver or blank screen.

A few years back LED and plasma were pretty equal overall picture quality. Not any longer, plasma has taken a huge step forward leaving LED in its wake.

Biggest problem with Plasma technology is power consumption. Ive had it mounted on a VESA wall mount since the beginning. It helps dissipate heat very well. I use the exhaust side of my shopVac to keep the components clean as a whistle.

If a potential buyer doesnt have a lot of space or plans to mount it in a Cabinet (which is a bad idea idea no matter what technology you are using), go LED.

Jeff
Hey Jeff, yeah, I actually love the image of a good plasma but this will be a bedroom TV so it's gonna be cabinet-mounted (heat would be a possible issue). I've heard they've made some strides on the poor representation of black, I watch movies 90% of the time so well-executed dark scenes are critical. I'm about ready for a new monitor in my home theater, maybe I can go with a plasma down there. Thanks much

Wyattspoppa
Wyattspop
_
17. March 2013 @ 11:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by JST1946:
I have 3 Samsung TV's and 1 Sharp in my house.Three are mounted on wall brackets. The other one in an entertainment center.They all work great
Originally posted by JST1946:
My main home theater monitor is a 57" Sammy DLP so I'm a big fan, I'd get another Sammy anytime..Can't wall-mount this one though Sarge, it's in the bedroom where a huge wall unit houses the Screen, curios on the sides...gotta go with a stand-mounted TV, 42" max.
As an ex USAF Airman, thanks for your service in Vietnam.

Wyattspoppa
ddp
_
17. March 2013 @ 17:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
if have no problem with current samsung then get another 1.
_
18. March 2013 @ 02:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
im using a sony bravia smart tv,lcd with led backlighting.the picture is great.
the downside is tv speakers distort if volumn is too loud and it doesnt support all files playback.also requires a $100 usb wireless thing if i want to stream or use smart tv features wireless.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. March 2013 @ 18:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i just have a pioneer kuro 50" plasma as the main tv and a 37"panny in the bedroom,30" hannspree in the kitchen and an old panny 32"crt in the lounge cant move it its so heavy lol .
Advertisement
_
__

_
_
28. March 2013 @ 04:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i have a sony trinitron in computer room an old crt 51 cm and a 48cm crt sammy in the bedroom.when i gave away my nec 68cm crt it was very heavy had to get my neighbour to help me move it to the car.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > televisions > buying a new tv, what do you have?....

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork