User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 09:17
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > televisions > did lightning destroy my hdmi output?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Did Lightning Destroy my HDMI Output?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
ToxicAvenger1420
_
10. April 2013 @ 21:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have a Samsung 46 inch HDTV with 3 HDMI Outputs.

HDMI Output 1 is hooked up to a Time Warner Cable digital cable box
HDMI Output 2 is hooked up to an upscale DVD player
HDMI Output 3 is hooked up to a PS3

Last night there was a pretty decent thunderstorm going on. I was in the middle of playing some PS3 and turned it off to wait for the storm to pass. After a little while the storm seemed to have moved on. So I went back to playing PS3.

Bout an hour later pretty much out of nowhere a giant loud thunder hit, it sounded like the lightning had to of struck somewhere in my yard. There was a loud pop noise and I thought maybe an electrical outlet in the kitchen had blown up or something.

The HDTV flashed off/on but the PS3 and everything else in the house continued working. The power did not go out.

I quickly shut down my PS3 and turned off the tv. Waited a little while and turned the tv back on and noticed the picture was all fuzzy.

All of this went on around midnight. At 5 Am I went back to the tv and it was still fuzzy. I assumed this was because of all the rain and bad weather. But the tv was still fuzzy and the picture was blacking out sporadically at 3pm.

I went to check the downstairs hdtv, it's only hooked up to basic cable. It was working fine. So I went back up and unplugged the coaxial cable from the box and hooked it up to directly to the hdtv, no more fuzziness.

So meanwhile I'd tried resetting the box a few times by leaving it unplugged and nothing happened.

Then I decided to try a DVD on HDMI 2 and that was working fine.

Finally I decided to switch out the HDMI cable from Output 1. I plugged the cable I had in HDMI Output 3 into the cable box and it worked.

But then i tried switching the working HDMI Output 3 cable into the HDMI Output 1 slot and it was back to fuzzy and blackout picture.

So long story short out of 3 HDMI Outputs the first is giving a fuzzy and blacking out picture. Is there anything I can do at home or is it just best to forget about it and Use HDMI Output 2 and 3 which are working?
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > televisions > did lightning destroy my hdmi output?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork