User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 00:41
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > digital tv - united states & canada > half my screen goes black
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Half my screen goes black
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Troglodad
_
18. January 2012 @ 20:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
So out of the blue, my two year old LG 42" LCD has a problem. The screen either doesn't come on, or gets multicolored lines, etc on one half. If I go up to the Tv and gently tap the case, I can get it to stop and work flawlessly for hours.

I have the TV hooked up to a power strip

This past friday, my father in law and I were working out a short circuit in the house that killed power to some rooms- rooms on a different breaker than the TV's room is on. As he tested breakers, and before I could stop him, he grabbed the TV room breaker and toggled it back and forth several times to my horror. I told him "STOP!" and told him I had my computer modem, TV etc all hooked up on that breaker and toggling it was bad for them. The following day is when the TV started acting up. The following monday, we had storms and the power went on and off and on several times.

Could this repeated on/off of power damage my TV? Or has it just coincidentally started going bad? I've read that there is a rare loose something or other that can create the half-black screen.
Jeffrey_P
_
18. January 2012 @ 21:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Troglodad:
So out of the blue, my two year old LG 42" LCD has a problem. The screen either doesn't come on, or gets multicolored lines, etc on one half. If I go up to the Tv and gently tap the case, I can get it to stop and work flawlessly for hours.

This past friday, my father in law and I were working out a short circuit in the house that killed power to some rooms- rooms on a different breaker than the TV's room is on. As he tested breakers, and before I could stop him, he grabbed the TV room breaker and toggled it back and forth several times to my horror. I told him "STOP!" and told him I had my computer modem, TV etc all hooked up on that breaker and toggling it was bad for them. The following day is when the TV started acting up. The following monday, we had storms and the power went on and off and on several times.

Could this repeated on/off of power damage my TV? Or has it just coincidentally started going bad? I've read that there is a rare loose something or other that can create the half-black screen.
Not so sure what the problem is but maybe you should have disconnected all AC things before powering back up.

Having a power surge protector really is not that reliable unless it is a very well made, not a $10.00 special from Fry's

My uncle got zapped by lightening last fall. No surge protector will save you from a 10k> voltage spike. You have to use common sense.

A lot of people think circuit beakers will stop you from being zapped. No, it is to protect wiring when it get hot and burning the house down.

Jeff
Jeffrey_P
_
18. January 2012 @ 21:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Jeffrey_P:
Originally posted by Troglodad:

Not so sure what the problem is but maybe you should have disconnected all AC things before powering back up.

Having a power surge protector really is not that reliable unless it is a very well made, not a $10.00 special from Fry's

My uncle got zapped by lightening last fall. No surge protector will save you from a 10k> voltage spike. You have to use common sense.

A lot of people think circuit beakers will stop you from being zapped. No, it is to protect wiring when it get hot and burning the house down.

Short protection is different. They compare current flow. There should be zero to a few microamps of current on the ground and neutral lines. If there is, the circuit is tripped.

Jeff

Cars, Guitars & Radiation.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 18. January 2012 @ 21:36

afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > digital tv - united states & canada > half my screen goes black

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork