User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 04:32
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > dvd recorders > my s-video cable = worse picture than composite??
Show topics

Forums
Forums
my S-video cable = worse picture than composite??
  Jump to:

Posted Message
HPgloss
_
26. February 2012 @ 09:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Setup: Verizon Fios box -----[s-video]-----> DVD-recorder (Toshiba DR570) ------[s-video]-----> TV (standard definition, Sony KV-27FS100)

I am recording TV shows (standard definition) from Verizon Fios cable, and my goal is to achieve the highest quality possible.
I've already researched which cables I should use, and the highest quality slot my DVD recorder has is S-Video. So I am using S-video cables for both the input (from cable box) and output (to TV), combined with red and white composite (audio).

When I am comparing recordings (all settings equal) of the same video clip from s-video to composite, I am noticing that the composite seems to have a sharper image and better color contrast, whereas the s-video has duller image, colors seem to be slightly more "blurry", and letters seem slightly more "blocky".

This doesn't make sense, because every single article I've read on S-video vs. Composite states that S-video cable is FAR superior in sharpness, contrast, etc.

So here is what crossed my mind as possible explanations: My specific DVD recorder prefers composite, and/or my TV prefers composite. (or both)

Now, if it is JUST my TV that prefers composite that's okay, but if it is my DVD recorder that prefers composite, then I need to know. What I'm getting at, is that it does not matter if it's the TV's preference because the recordings I am making are meant to be viewed long-term throughout my life in the future when I have a different/better TV(s), but if the Recorder itself does not like s-video then it will look worse no matter what TV I have.

What do you guys think? Am I going to get better long-term quality (across TV types) with S-video, even though it does not look as good as composite on the current TV I have?

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 26. February 2012 @ 09:30

afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > dvd recorders > my s-video cable = worse picture than composite??

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork