User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 10:43
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert dvd to another format > dvd to avi less than 1 gb file size
Show topics

Forums
Forums
DVD to AVI less than 1 gb file size
  Jump to:

Posted Message
whispers8021
_
3. June 2013 @ 14:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I am sorry if this is posted elsewhere I have searched and searched and searcched; re worded re worded and re worded searching and searching for this topic for over 4 hours now and have not found any thread that is in plain english on how to do this.

I have over 1200 movies yes 90% of them have been downloaded using azuze. But where I am at currently doesnt have fast enough internet and there is no option to upgrade. So I go library card that brings in over 100 new movies every week. Ok problem solved. Went and got DVDdecrypter and DVDshrink that I used to use over a decade ago before torrents were the thing. I forgot that DVDshrink only shrinks the file down to 4gbs !!!!

The WHOLE reason I am searching for answers on this topic is because I have over 1200 movies on 1TB I am not trying to fill another terrabyte withonly 250 movies.

So first I did search on how to turn my physical DVD into a torrent so that I could save space. I downloaded utorrent cuz that is what the thread said to do. However that didnt do anything. Then I tried doing it with Azuze, but I cant figure it out.

Then I googled and searched and from my search results altered my search to DVD to AVI less than 1gb file size. After many useless program downloads and installations from other forum topics here at afterdawn I finally found an idiot proof one that appears to be working.

DIVX plus converter.

Problem
1) it is only a 15 day free trial period then you have to buy it. Which honestly I dont mind if the damn thing works

BUT

2) and this is the MAJOR PROBLEM It has been working on converting a 2hr 20 minute long movie catch me if u can for over 3hours now is only at 57%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe this is just the free version takn its sweet ass time but this is absurd!!!

Then after many many many posts here refering to AutoGK I went and downloaded that. Selected teh input file and the output the file. Clicked add a job. then there is ntohing to click on that will prompt this program to do anything. the "start" button is faded out so it is not clickable.

So after 4 hours of trial and error following all the advice I can find on the internet & this forum I have come across way to technical of programs, outdated programs, completely useless programs, and topics that are far too complex than they should be.

SO IN CONCLUSION can somebody point me to a program that does this:

choose file
click convert
wait 20-30 minutes
file complete
you now have a AVI file under 1gb in size from your DVD in ur DVDROM

If not can you point me to a youtube vidoe or a link that explains how to do this in english terms. And when i say english terms I mean just that I dont mean well if you consider the bitrate and the nonorate and the compression factor and times that by speed of the moon subtract how much mountain dew you drank last month divided by the amount of donuts u seen on tv added by the number of gummi bears you are likely to eat over 80 years you will get the ifo converstion rate now load it up on the imaginerary iso drive to encode using dvdshrink now open autogk and show it your mean face while clicking on properties and disolving all heinz 57 sauce from your wrapper and converting using divx plus conversion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading
Adam
Advertisement
_
__
whispers8021
_
3. June 2013 @ 14:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
And I am only trying to watch these movies using VLC on my laptop only.

I am not trying to watch on an ipad, ipod, tv or anything other than my laptop
AfterDawn Addict
_
3. June 2013 @ 18:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Is the box next to the file in the job queue checked?

scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
3. June 2013 @ 22:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Conversion time is pretty much based on how good & fast your hardware is,however 2 pass on avi is much longer than a two pass on mp4 if i recall correctly,basicly mp4 took me 1/2 the time to make at a smaller size of 1.2gb using vidcoder 64bit,than an avi xvid did using staxrip at 2.0gb both using 2 pass with passthru AC3 audio = (1:1)

whispers8021
_
4. June 2013 @ 00:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Attar

yes the box is checked and it was still ghosted out, but I finally figured it out unfortunately 3 hours later Im still waiting for it to do something because so far all it has created is an audio file. It says its an avi file but when I open it up with VLC all that plays is the audio there is no picture.

Scorpnz

Im pretty sure your reply is in English I just understand a word you jsut typed.
AfterDawn Addict
_
4. June 2013 @ 06:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The current operation is updated in the log window (the audio is processed first).
If you specify a particular size for the output, then it has to make two passes.
An older PC can take hours to get the output file.
Mousing over the VirtualDubMod icon on the taskbar (which appears when VDM is running) will show the progress of the encoding.

whispers8021
_
4. June 2013 @ 19:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
attar

Thank you I finally figured it out got two DVDs ripped, shrunk & converted just took way longer than I expected it to. Didn't realize this was such a process. I used DVDdecrypter to make a seamless VOB file then I shrunk it to 4gb using DVD shrink then I used Autogk to convert that shrunken file.

Was that a correct approach? Overkill? or just plain newbie stupidity?

While using autogk

In the step 3: box select output size I chose 1 cd 700mb & in the advanced setting the first AVI file I left untouched. It created the movie skinny and with a large margin of black on both sides of the video. The second movie i increased the pixel width to 720 Looks to be ok. Guess an idiot with no understanding of all this can't be too picky afterall I got to be less than 4gbs. which was the overall goal!

Thank you for your time in helping out a complete stranger.
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict
_
4. June 2013 @ 20:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If you only intend to convert the DVD to AVI, there's no need to run it through DVD Shrink after ripping it.
I generally set it up for 640 width and let it figure out the correct aspect ratio.
Also, you can add multiple jobs and let it run overnight if you want to do a bunch of them.

afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert dvd to another format > dvd to avi less than 1 gb file size

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork