User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 17:11
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert dvd to another format > home movie on dvd to htpc
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Home movie on DVD to HTPC
  Jump to:

Posted Message
tiredeyes69
_
4. December 2013 @ 07:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi Afterdawners
I have built my first HTPC
Very quiet in a Streacom case FC10 with Seasonic 460w fanless PSU
intel i5 4670
I use XBMC as the video player

I have around 50 DVD's of family holidays (from 20 years ago to now)(all vob files in video folders)
I want to create lossless single file to put on my htpc.
What is the best software to do this please?
I will do singularly, as will do from each physical DVD
(I understand I can copy the video folder from dvd straight to hdd but will end up with lots of vobs, and I am wanting a single file)
(btw no subtitles)
(first 35 dvds are from an old Hi-8 video camera and were converted to vobs using pinnacle software 10 years ago)
last 15 dvd's are using a Hi-Def cam corder onto panasonic sd card, then using HD writer to convert to VOB DVD)
So what's your favourite software and file output and why?
flac
mpg
mpeg
H264
please forgive my ignorance on file type and container I'm not up on that...
Advertisement
_
__
dizzyduck
_
4. December 2013 @ 13:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Have you tried MakeMKV? It basically just puts the VOBs in a single playable MKV container.
tiredeyes69
_
4. December 2013 @ 16:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for the suggestion.
Why would you suggest that over other software?
Any compelling reasons ?
tiredeyes69
_
11. December 2013 @ 12:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Anyone else got any suggestions ?
Advertisement
_
__

_
_
14. December 2013 @ 00:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Since you're using XBMC, turn them in to an image file and you'll be good. ISO's play well in XBMC, you won't have to convert anything and worry about losing quality. Keep things simple.
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert dvd to another format > home movie on dvd to htpc

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork