User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 18:17
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert dvd to another format > i haven't been here for a long time, i have a question to ask about dvd to digital media
Show topics

Forums
Forums
I haven't been here for a long time, I have a question to ask about DVD to digital media
  Jump to:

Posted Message
_
16. March 2014 @ 01:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What I would like to do is convert my Factory bought DVDs to a digital format that I can view them on my ipad. I would like to know what is the best format to convert to and the best software that does it. I want the best so if it is one I have to buy I will do so. I have Windows 7 as my OP

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
Advertisement
_
__
rulisky
_
16. March 2014 @ 07:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I believe DVDFab has conversion abilities. Check the web site, if still there, to read about it.
_
16. March 2014 @ 07:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
main movies formats are avi,mp4 & mkv .honestly i don't notice much difference between the 3 of them.

heard good reviews about a program called handbrake havn't tried it (highly recommended on these forums)
last movie i ripped i used an older version of dvdfab which i got for free, dvd fab works.
I also tried some free programs and ran into copyright protection on them (slysoft anydvd is suppose to break the copyright protection on movies its paid software and works with a lot of programs, I lost it when i got a new pc).

whats the best would be debateable as some programs work great for some and others don't like them and have issues with them,hopefully we get more people posting suggestions and see what they say.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. March 2014 @ 03:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Bought both dvdfab & anydvd, clonedvd & clonedvd mobile,used to use dvdfab to rip & for selecting titles & audio streams,however it no longer works well in vista or win 7,works fine in xp which is useless since that comp is single core & too slow,so now it's anydvd & clonedvd,which ripper should you choose,that depends if you really need to pay as dvdfab is free to rip always there is no trial,tho my choice would be anydvd as it never faulters & i use to use it when fab failed on certain protections,then i switch to clonedvd to edit out the junk

Ok the encoding forget about avi it's a hassle to get subs in the dam thing

that leaves us with handbrake or vidcoder (both are the same program sort of),my advice go with vidcoder reason being you can set file size output manually that function isn't there in handbrake

File type,personally i prefer mkv however since you have an ipad then mp4 it is,for compatability with older hardware that i require i use the MPEG 2 (libav) encoder instead of x264,that's something you need to keep in mind before you start ripping & encoding what other devices are you going to play movie on,what might be fine on a small screen will like like crap on a larger one especially if you reduced the aspect ratio the last thing you want is have to recode all over again

what file size should you manually select if you go that route, i don't have a particular formula,however i never change the original aspect (resolution) & i always use passthru for audio = (1:1),so say a movie is 6gb,because i store them on hdd's i can afford a decent size per movie,right now i'm recoding the whole lot & increasing them from 2gb to 2.5gb-3.5gb each depending if i like the movie or not,using 2pass encode,basically the only thing that i change in the settings is file size as sometimes there's more than one audio stream i want,you'll have to play around with it or just use the presets

edit:not forgetting dvdshrink,this little beauty as well as voblanker can work magic,using the front & end frames cutting you can reduce the final original rip output size of the main movie,removing the crap of the intro & the end credits increases by a small amount the quality of the encoding,personally i can't tell the difference however i do it anyway..lol..

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 19. March 2014 @ 03:34

_
19. March 2014 @ 09:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by rulisky:
I believe DVDFab has conversion abilities. Check the web site, if still there, to read about it.
DVDFab SUCKs!!!!!!!!!!!!! had it used it, the support is terrible and of course they are not in the USA

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 19. March 2014 @ 09:50

scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. March 2014 @ 20:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@eric
Your posting in the wrong thread & section section,this is the one you need
http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/17

_
18. May 2014 @ 19:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by scorpNZ:
@eric
I don't understand, I posted today but can't find it but yet another post from years ago is at the top of new posts. Can someone explain what happened and where is my new post about AnyDVD?
_
18. May 2014 @ 19:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@eric
The forum I posted in says the following "Questions about DVD ripping, encoding DVD movies to another format, etc. Please note that we have dedicated forum room for DVD to DVDR copying, so don't post those questions here."

I think my questions about AnyDVD that I posted today belongs where I put it I don't understand why you took a post several years old and anwsered it today?????????
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
18. May 2014 @ 20:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
2 x things
1-you were venting at dvdfab hence a link to safety valve where you can trash talk all you like about dvdfab i meant it as a joke as your comment has nothing to do with the issue you had...lol..

2-Regarding anydvd i have no idea what your on about my last post in this thread was only a matter of days after your first & consistent.

however is this the question you posted & can't find.Any posts you loose can be found by logging in & going to your member settings,it contains logs of your replies etc

http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-44/...PostsAreaBottom

_
18. May 2014 @ 21:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
2 x things
1-you were venting at dvdfab hence a link to safety valve where you can trash talk all you like about dvdfab i meant it as a joke as your comment has nothing to do with the issue you had...lol..

2-Regarding anydvd i have no idea what your on about my last post in this thread was only a matter of days after your first & consistent.

however is this the question you posted & can't find.Any posts you loose can be found by logging in & going to your member settings,it contains logs of your replies etc

http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-44/...PostsAreaBottom
I was giving a honest review of my experience with DVDfab. As for my post today I am still confused at when I post one in "convert to another output" and then I see the post for the DVDFab that has to be 6-8 years old.
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
18. May 2014 @ 23:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
the posts that are at the very top in darker writing are stickies thats why it shows as 2002,it'll be a tutorial

_
18. May 2014 @ 23:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Scorp, I had no problem using DVDFab on my Windows 7 machines. Then again, I tend to rip the entire disk, and then use some other programs afterwards to choose what I want to use from there.

scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
19. May 2014 @ 14:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Its not a big issue i have the slysoft set.It's quite possible its related to the same issue i have with voblanker on vista or win 7;uninstall the graphics driver & software & run on the default driver after reboot & VB works as it should ,might try that this avo & reinstall dvdfab & see what happens,basically dvdfab will rip 1 maybe 2 discs regardless main ,custom or full then it just seems to freeze.If it don't work its ok

_
19. May 2014 @ 20:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by rtm27:
Scorp, I had no problem using DVDFab on my Windows 7 machines. Then again, I tend to rip the entire disk, and then use some other programs afterwards to choose what I want to use from there.
Since this reply is on a thread in which I vented about my experience with DVDFab I wanted to reply and remind everyone that what I said was my experience with the software and mostly with the support. DVDFab may work great for everyone, for me it was not working and the support was very rude to me "TO ME" this is only my experience and doesn't mean that it will be the same for everyone else.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 19. May 2014 @ 20:56

Advertisement
_
__

_
_
24. May 2014 @ 15:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by eric_0012:
...I don't understand why you took a post several years old and anwsered it today?????????
'cos we still alive & kicking !?

...used to use dvdfab ...however it no longer works well in vista or win 7,works fine in xp which is useless since that comp is single core & too slow
Yup. DVDFab-9 on XP is very slow, 'cos the single Core.
But it keep working like a champ on Vista, W-7 & W-8.

If you installed DVDFab & AnyDVD on the same machine, they are conflicting with each other, but in special when you are about to use DVDFab, since AnyDVD is ON working on the background.

--> Right Click the little AnyDVD icon on the bottom bar (right) and click EXIT to turn Off AnyDVD.
By doing this: DVDFab will work by itself like a pro.

Originally posted by rtm27:
...no problem using DVDFab on my Windows 7 machines. Then again, I tend to rip the entire disk, and then use some other programs afterwards to choose what I want to use from there.
Agree.
That's why the latest versions of DVDFab-9 have Full Disc rip by default.
...no time to waste looking for the right title, etc.

DVDFab v.9146 (5-22-14)
http://www.dvdfab.cn/download.htm

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 25. May 2014 @ 16:33

afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert dvd to another format > i haven't been here for a long time, i have a question to ask about dvd to digital media

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork