User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 22:38
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert dvd to another format > need help with vob file
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Need Help with VOB file
  Jump to:

Posted Message
mobster11
_
8. October 2013 @ 09:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I received my wedding video on a DVD from my videographers. I thought the picture looked a little grainy in some spots, so I popped it in my PC to see what type of file it is. It appears it's a VOB file.

Is there some way to determine whether or not this file was compressed before being burned to the DVD, resulting in a loss of quality? Is there anything I should know about a VOB file?

Also, I wanted to upload the file to my SkyDrive, but it won't upload for some reason. My assumption was that this is because SkyDrive might not support VOB files. So I went in to DVDFab to strip it from the DVD and convert it to an MP4. I noticed DVDFab lists the file type as MPEG2. Why would DVDFab show MPEG2 but the file itself when viewed from the DVD shows as a VOB file?

I paid alot of money for their services and want to make sure I'm being provided with a high quality video.

I appreciate ANY help you can provide. Thanks!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 8. October 2013 @ 09:05

AfterDawn Addict
_
8. October 2013 @ 12:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
A VOB is the container name used in movie DVDs.
It's mpeg2 video inside the container.
DVD movie video is compressed.
A single layer disk has a nominal capacity of two hours running time (a dual layer is four hours).
If you are familiar with DVD Shrink you can select a thirty second clip where you think there is a problem and (making sure that it's set for 'no compression') and save it to another folder.
The resulting vob file can be uploaded to a file share site and then go to the VideoHelp site and post the link and ask for an opinion.
It's important that when the movie is ripped from the original disk (using DVD Fab) that it's not converted or compressed to a smaller size.
The experts at VideoHelp must have the source video from your disk as is.
If you are unfamiliar with DVD Shrink, post back and I will list the steps.

http://forum.videohelp.com/forums/18-Newbie-General-discussions

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 8. October 2013 @ 12:57

afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert dvd to another format > need help with vob file

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork