Show topics

Forums
Forums
Laptop DVD reader
  Jump to:

Posted Message
iambigh
_
19. July 2009 @ 08:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
My Grandson has a Packard Bell Easynote H5 laptop and the DVD drive is playing up. I have searched for a replacement drive without much success and was wondering if it would have to be replaced with a Packard Bell drive or would ANY laptop DVD drive do the job. Thanks for any advice.
Advertisement
_
__
_
19. July 2009 @ 09:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If the laptop is only used on a desk ie at home (ie not being carried around) then an alternative is to build your own, or you can buy one 'ready made'.

I use USB 2.0 external enclosures such as these ~

and just use a standard 5.25" optical drive ie DVD-ROM or DVD-ROM/CDwriter combo or DVD burner in, been using a few of these for a few years, or you can buy external drives off the shelf, i've always preferred to pick my own components.

Other than that i don't know if you can find a replacement plug-in drive, they tend to be too expensive anyway, hence why i use external enclosures.

Another option is the smaller, more portable DVD drives, they're popular due to the new mini sized laptops called netbooks that don't come with built-in DVD drives due to the size of the netbooks. You could look on eBay for this kind of thing ~

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 19. July 2009 @ 09:42

iambigh
_
19. July 2009 @ 10:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for the idea Creaky but it is always on the move, to one friends house or another.
_
19. July 2009 @ 10:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ah, i figured that was the case, worth a try though. Another thing to consider is how often a DVD or CD drive is actually needed. Can a USB stick be used instead, or my favourite is a generic SD card reader from a pound shop used with a cheap SD card.

Other than that i guess someone will hopefully post with alternatives re a proper plug-in laptop drive, or one of my suggestions above, a slimline DVD drive of some sort. Many years ago i had a laptop that needed a CD drive and i bought a very expensive portable drive, though these days the slimline USB 2.0 drives can be found very cheaply on places like eBay.
The laptop itself has to be carted around to friends' houses and whatnot so i don't think the slimine external drive is such a bad idea ?...

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
iambigh
_
19. July 2009 @ 10:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Don't get me wrong Creaky, the idea has not been completely ruled out, just that if I can get a replacement drive it would probably be better for him.
_
19. July 2009 @ 10:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
No problem, i understand, i'm sure someone who knows more about Packard Bell laptops will post.

AfterDawn Addict
_
20. July 2009 @ 09:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
According to this parts list:

http://www.pchub.com/uph/model/0--10818-...00DW-parts.html

The replacement drive is a Lite-on LSC-24082K.

Plenty of them (at least 10) on sale at eBay (US).

I cannot see the interface but my educated guess is that since they don't show a "tailplate" for the optical drive, they are using the native interface and any drive should do.
Advertisement
_
__

_
iambigh
_
20. July 2009 @ 10:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Many thanks Dailun, I am now leaning towards an external drive, but will have a look to see.
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > dvd-rom drives > laptop dvd reader

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork