Show topics

Forums
Forums
external hard drive
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Tamara_91
_
11. March 2014 @ 14:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've got a question about external hard drives. I want to buy 1TB portable external hard drive with USB 3.0 auto and cloud backup but I've been thingking too long about the qualities and prices. I'm going to buy it on amazon or stuff like that can anyone tell me which brands can I trust or which models? I've never used that tech. maybe my question sounds dumb but it will be great help :) thank you

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 11. March 2014 @ 14:11

Advertisement
_
__
rulisky
_
11. March 2014 @ 14:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I would look at Amazon and Newegg. Both places have reviews posted. More reviews, more positive reviews - should guide you well. Both sites are reputable.
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
11. March 2014 @ 20:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
hard drives come in low end,middle & top of the range ,take from that what you will & buyer beware,you need to take into consideration what hours of use your going to use it & go from there,as an example i have a few 3.5" seagate expansions their primary use is storage these drives were cheap they are not meant to be used all day everyday & i wouldn't trust em as far as i could throw them not like a barracuda or better drive like that,the link below maybe of assistance,there is one advantage you have i assume your going for a 2.5" drive they tend to run at 5400rpm which is far cooler than the drives i have,you may even be able to get a portable that can turn it's self off or at least stop spinning when not in use,green drives do that tho i'm not sure about 2.5"

http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/hard-drives

ddp
_
11. March 2014 @ 21:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Tamara_91, if going with usb3 drive then you need usb3 port on the computer to make full use of the transfer speed or otherwise it will run at usb2 speed of motherboard ports.
Tamara_91
_
12. March 2014 @ 03:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by rulisky:
I would look at Amazon and Newegg. Both places have reviews posted. More reviews, more positive reviews - should guide you well. Both sites are reputable.
thank you rulisky I'll look for on these sites
Tamara_91
_
12. March 2014 @ 03:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by scorpNZ:
hard drives come in low end,middle & top of the range ,take from that what you will & buyer beware,you need to take into consideration what hours of use your going to use it & go from there,as an example i have a few 3.5" seagate expansions their primary use is storage these drives were cheap they are not meant to be used all day everyday & i wouldnt trust em as far as i could throw them not like a barracuda or better drive like that,the link below maybe of assistance,there is one advantage you have i assume your going for a 2.5" drive they tend to run at 5400rpm which is far cooler than the drives i have,you may even be able to get a portable that can turn its self off or at least stop spinning when not in use,green drives do that tho im not sure about 2.5"

thank you for rewievs site :) if I take in consideration that I dont need hard drive to work it all day long that wont be a big problem. I just want to save some big information on that hard drive and be able to take that to the office , to have it at home and etc. I just need some edditional memory for my job files
Tamara_91
_
12. March 2014 @ 04:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ddp:
Tamara_91, if going with usb3 drive then you need usb3 port on the computer to make full use of the transfer speed or otherwise it will run at usb2 speed of motherboard ports.
ok I know that Ive heard that USB3 works better and faster then 2. my PC has both ports so I decieded that I need it
Advertisement
_
__

_
rulisky
_
12. March 2014 @ 08:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Personally, I have a Toshiba 500gb external drive. Got it several years ago and has given me no problems. An older model that I do not see currently listed. Size is roughly 3.5x5.5 and came with a zippered case that has a pocket for the usb plug in.
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > other pc hardware > external hard drive

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork