User User name Password  

Sunday 28.4.2024 / 23:52
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > other pc hardware > laptop battery/charging issue
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Laptop Battery/charging issue
  Jump to:

Posted Message
lmac222
_
8. June 2014 @ 20:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Laptop is probably 3 yrs old

Recently ive seen that it will be plugged in and not charge. It will charge fora few minutes and then stop. So eventually I can get it to 100 percent if it stays plugged in. Says plugged it but not charging when i look at the battery. Sometimes maybe if i wiggle the chord a certain way it will charge for a lil bit.

So some testing:
Going to my parents house, their power cord works fine and charges my laptop. So first thing i did was buy another power chord...no dice

2nd test. Since it wasnt the chord....maybe the actually battery itself inside the laptop. Bought a new one...no dice

3rd test. Today I took my new chord that i bought from test 1, and was able to charge her laptop completely.

So, having said all that, im at a loss for what i should do now. While the laptop is fine, it only will work if it stays plugged in obviously. It does not go down on % when plugged in. My guess is i screwed up the battery but plugging/unplugging in early days of the computer when it wasnt really needed.

Ideas?
ddp
_
8. June 2014 @ 22:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
being your parents' power adapter works on your laptop & your power adapter works on their laptop, why not swap adapters? are you certain that new adapter is compatible with your laptop as may look the same & have same voltage\amperage as your old adapter but be wired differently? ran into that problem with a customer's dell laptop that had a broken connector on the power adapter. customer bought a new power adapter that appears to work except it would not charge the battery. i found out that the old adapter had 3 wires to laptop wereas the new adapter only had 2 wires to laptop. the 3rd wire was a sensor wire needed to see & charge the battery so i fixed the old adapter by replacing the connector so can now charge the battery. look at the bottom side of both adapters to see if there is a wiring diagram there & if so, compare the 2 wiring diagrams to see if same or different.
lmac222
_
8. June 2014 @ 23:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ddp:
being your parents' power adapter works on your laptop & your power adapter works on their laptop, why not swap adapters? are you certain that new adapter is compatible with your laptop as may look the same & have same voltage\amperage as your old adapter but be wired differently? ran into that problem with a customer's dell laptop that had a broken connector on the power adapter. customer bought a new power adapter that appears to work except it would not charge the battery. i found out that the old adapter had 3 wires to laptop wereas the new adapter only had 2 wires to laptop. the 3rd wire was a sensor wire needed to see & charge the battery so i fixed the old adapter by replacing the connector so can now charge the battery. look at the bottom side of both adapters to see if there is a wiring diagram there & if so, compare the 2 wiring diagrams to see if same or different.
great idea...never even thought about swapping out. But also will check out for any diagram.
Thanks
Advertisement
_
__

_
ddp
_
9. June 2014 @ 14:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
no problem.
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > other pc hardware > laptop battery/charging issue

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork