User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 09:05
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > other pc hardware > laptop battery short life
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Laptop battery short life
  Jump to:

Posted Message
tali1
_
20. March 2014 @ 14:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Noticed my Laptop battery needed charging quicker than i expected.So i tested it on full charge and no activity the battery needed plugging in on 2hrs 45mins.
The power plan is optimised .
2hrs 45mins seems a very short time on a laptop that is just sitting there.Luckily it is still under warranty so just need advice in case Tech Support try to bullshit me with excuses
Thxs

Advertisement
_
__
ddp
_
20. March 2014 @ 20:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
how old is it & how long is it supposed run on battery power?
tali1
_
20. March 2014 @ 20:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
less than a year old - can't recall exactly but about 4-5 hrs active use -which is now only 1hr 15mins.

JST1946
_
20. March 2014 @ 21:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Take it back since it is still under warranty and have them give you a new battery and or charger.

20 Year U.S.Army Veteran.Vietnam 1969-1972 101st Abn.Div.
ddp
_
20. March 2014 @ 22:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
do you leave it on charge when not using it?
tali1
_
21. March 2014 @ 13:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yeh i tend to -but that's besides the point i would say? :)

ddp
_
21. March 2014 @ 15:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
not really as supposedly that reduces the life span of the battery by being on constant charge.
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. March 2014 @ 21:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ddp:
not really as supposedly that reduces the life span of the battery by being on constant charge.
I beg to differ with you........
Leaving the battery plugged in, even after it has reached full charge, will not do significant harm to the battery. The charging circuitry will ensure that the charging stops once the battery is full, as measured by the amount of current the battery will accept while charging (a battery, as it charges, will accept less and less current given a certain charging voltage). This cut-off is always implemented for lithium-ion batteries (which "lithium-polymer" batteries are a type of), which do not otherwise take well to "trickle charging"
ddp
_
21. March 2014 @ 21:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
that is why i said "supposedly" as i was not certain.
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. March 2014 @ 22:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
lol yeah, it really depends on what kind of battery they are... some of them come out of the box unable to hold a charge.. :)
_
22. March 2014 @ 02:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ddp,you are thinking of some of the older rechargables that had a memory.if you used them before they were fully charged they would only charge to that point.they actually lasted longer if you ran them right down before charging.weve come long way baby.
ddp
_
22. March 2014 @ 12:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
not talking about the ni-cads but lithiums.
_
22. March 2014 @ 14:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
nicads,damn i couldnt remember that name last nite.true lithium ions dont have that problem.
Advertisement
_
__

_
tali1
_
22. March 2014 @ 16:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i have to admit i did do the freezer for several hours -and that added the 45mins to life.

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > other pc hardware > laptop battery short life

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork