Show topics

Forums
Forums
No connection
  Jump to:

Posted Message
WallyWest3001
_
3. May 2014 @ 13:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just got a new modem/wifi installed by Comcast. PS3 is connected by Ethernet Cable, works fine. Wireless phones/tablets/and one PC all connect fine to wifi. My desktop that is plugged in by Ethernet will not connect at all. Neither through the cord or wifi. The box is confirmed as working, is there some setting on the computer I am not finding or dont know about that would help?

Anyone? Please, help.
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
3. May 2014 @ 17:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Are you getting a green light at the connection where you plug the ethernet cable into the computer? Check in BIOS to see if it's turned on. May be a bad chip in the mobo - an ethernet card could fix that.
WallyWest3001
_
4. May 2014 @ 10:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by 2oldGeek:
Are you getting a green light at the connection where you plug the ethernet cable into the computer? Check in BIOS to see if it's turned on. May be a bad chip in the mobo - an ethernet card could fix that.
Thanks. I will check it out.
AfterDawn Addict
_
4. May 2014 @ 19:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by WallyWest3001:
Originally posted by 2oldGeek:
Thanks. I will check it out.
When you connect the ethernet cable you should get a green light if it's working. If not check in BIOS under Integrated Perpherals to see if Onboard LAN Function is enabled, If it is, then it may be the motherboard or a bad chip. I have had this happen several times usually on a Gigabyte MOBO. You can add a network card and dis-able Onboard LAN Function in the BIOS.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading; The few who learn by observation;
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves...
Advertisement
_
__

_
Biker48
_
14. May 2014 @ 23:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If you had a previous network connection I would suggest removing all the network software i.e. network drivers,microsoft networking,workgroup etc until you have a machine that is in fact standalone. Reboot from a cold start (do not do a warm boot)and then proceed to re-install the network configuration in the normal order. I have found that in some cases there is something sitting around in the O/S that will not allow you to connect. After reconfiguring you should find it works. If that fails then suspect a hardware failure. You could try just renewing your IP address in ipconfig to give you a new IP if you are using DHCP which I would assume you are. Another thing to try is to give your machine a fixed IP and try again. If you then get a connection you can go back to DHCP and in some cases wahey! I'm in. This can be time consuming and cause frustration with no logical reason why. Hope that helps.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 14. May 2014 @ 23:11

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > other pc hardware > no connection

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork