Show topics

Forums
Forums
Replacing PSU
  Jump to:

Posted Message
baddassb
_
21. March 2014 @ 00:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm assuming my pc needs a new psu and it currently has a 250W psu installed. Can I replace it with a 550W without causing harm to the pc? It's the only psu I can find online at the moment. It's a HP Pavilion p6203w I'm working with.

Thank you in advance.
Advertisement
_
__
_
21. March 2014 @ 00:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
you cant damage your computer by installing a psu of any wattage.no matter how powerful the psu it only delivers what is required of it.if a component draws 100w then the psu will only deliver 100w not matter its rated output.
ddp
_
21. March 2014 @ 15:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
as long as psu fits into the case then you should be alright.
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. March 2014 @ 18:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ddp:
as long as psu fits into the case then you should be alright.
and make sure it has all the proper connectors for your motherboard...
no since in overkill so don't go too far out. if your computer came with a 250watt and you haven't changed anything to require more power then just bump it up a little, like 300 or 350watt and that will handle it. go to Newegg.com and you should be able to find what you need with some good prices.
baddassb
_
21. March 2014 @ 18:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by aldan:
you cant damage your computer by installing a psu of any wattage.no matter how powerful the psu it only delivers what is required of it.if a component draws 100w then the psu will only deliver 100w not matter its rated output.
Ok, thank you. I asked because on the current psu, it states a maximum so i thought that meant i should only install no more than that. Glad to hear this because i can only find an inexpensive 550w. Thanks as always,
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. March 2014 @ 18:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Ok, thank you. I asked because on the current psu, it states a maximum so i thought that meant i should only install no more than that. Glad to hear this because i can only find an inexpensive 550w. Thanks as always,

That'll work..... :)
baddassb
_
21. March 2014 @ 23:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by 2oldGeek:
Quote:

That'll work..... :)
I'm hoping it'll solve the problem because I'm only replacing it because the pc wouldn't power up, back green light was constantly flashing and fan wasn't spinning. I got it powered up using a blow dryer but once powered back down, I have to use blow dryer again to power up again. It's been running for the past cpl days until psu is delivered. Did I mention the current psu's label states a maximum of 300W? Thanks as always!
ddp
_
21. March 2014 @ 23:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
you can use even a 1000 watt psu with no problem. the max 300 watts means that all the devices in the computer like motherboard, all drives, ram, fans & other cards cannot use more than 300 watts or psu goes pop & stops working.
Advertisement
_
__

_
baddassb
_
22. March 2014 @ 00:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ddp:
you can use even a 1000 watt psu with no problem. the max 300 watts means that all the devices in the computer like motherboard, all drives, ram, fans & other cards cannot use more than 300 watts or psu goes pop & stops working.
Oh, ok! Thanks much. Will keep posting and hopefully the replacement will solve this issue. Thanks again to all, as always!
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > other pc hardware > replacing psu

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork