User User name Password  

Monday 13.5.2024 / 19:00
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > other pc hardware > serial cable to network help
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Serial cable to network help
  Jump to:

Posted Message
mwr_allen
_
2. April 2014 @ 19:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi All,

My workplace has an old TimeWare clocking in system that has a serial cable that connects to a pc in our accounts department for timekeeping and our accounts office has had to be moved to a separate building where the serial cable cannot reach and now cant connect to the pc.

The pc is on the same network that is in the building where the clocking in system is but I am wondering if the serial cable from the clocking in machine can be connected via an adapter into our internal network without causing any disruption to our network and then be able to be used over the network by the accounts computer that it was originally connected to.

I might add that although the machine still works fine the TimeWare machine is so old that the last person to support it from the company has retired and no other person from the company knows anything about the machine thus the old serial cable.

Any help with this would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Marcus.

monkey magic
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
2. April 2014 @ 23:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
There are usb to serial adapters tho whether it'll work in the manner you want is another matter

what about connecting the time keeper to a computer as it was before & use the network to connect that computer to the accounts computer & access it that way

that's all i got until a real IT person turns up...lol..

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 2. April 2014 @ 23:58

ddp
_
3. April 2014 @ 00:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i agree on the use of a standalone computer because once working the monitor, keyboard & mouse can be taken away to be used later. can use an old p4 or lower to run that on your network.
Advertisement
_
__

_
mwr_allen
_
3. April 2014 @ 02:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi, thanks for the replies, I did consider putting in an old pc to use on a remote connection basis but I was told by our accountant that it was not something that they wanted to do although the old office where it was before is now being used by our managing director so I am considering now that I transfer all the program files to his pc and then shortcut the .exe program file over the network to the accounts computer in the new office. This would be the easiest way to do it although it would mean that the MD's computer must stay on all the time basically being a server.

Will see today what's plausible.

Thanks again for your replies.

Marcus.

monkey magic
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > other pc hardware > serial cable to network help

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork