User User name Password  

Wednesday 29.5.2024 / 06:48
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps2 - dvd backup discussion > is no modchip required, if backup is bitset to dvd-rom??
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Is no modchip required, if backup is bitset to DVD-ROM??
  Jump to:

Posted Message
vincenx23
_
22. December 2010 @ 13:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
NOTE: I have a V9 slimline PS2. I use Imgburn for burning, DVD Decrypter for ripping.
A few days ago, I bought a Sony AccuCore DVD+RW. I burned a PS2 game backup to it, and it worked perfectly. Same with DVD+R, which I tried out a few days ago because I heard that DVD Rewritable puts a greater strain on the PS2's laser. Now, I know that DVD+R/+RW disks are automatically bitset to DVD-ROM during burning, but I heard that it's impossible to make a 1:1 copy of an original PS2 disk, here on the forums, and that a modchip is needed to play the backups. So what I want to know is this: Does bitsetting a DVD+R/+RW to DVD-ROM mean that no modchip is required? Even if the backup plays perfectly?
And another thing: Are modchips ONLY required to play games that are burned to DVD-R/-RW? (Since they can't be bitset)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 22. December 2010 @ 13:11

Advertisement
_
__
Kannz
_
22. March 2011 @ 19:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
rw should be the second to last media used in a ps2 use a Verbatim DVD-R ONLY. it strains the laser to play crappy media I believe. Theres a reason the media was a quid for 100 cake.
_
22. March 2011 @ 20:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Unfortunately you can not make a 1:1 copy of professional discs(pressed discs)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3FQzwNzUE4 since they only contain the boot code/data that the developer wants on the disc.
BDR/DVDR/CDR contain an initial track on them to tell your computer that they are writeable and what type of disc they are. This is what makes the copy not a 1:1 copy since the boot code is now moved to a different part of this disc. The game console is programmed to look at a certain part on the disc for the boot code, and if the boot code is not there at the exact spot, it will not boot. That is why mod chips/swap discs/modded firmware is need by most game consoles in order to get backups to work( except for the Dreamcast(Dreamcast backups use a exploit in how the Dreamcast reads discs)

Playstation 2-Free McBoot,HDloader 8.0c,Open PS2 Loader 0.7,80gb Maxtor HDD,SMS Media Player,PGen,SNES Station- Installed
GameCube-SDload,SD Card Adapter,BBA Adapter,2 Color Case,GnuboyGX,MPlayer- Installed
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
22. March 2011 @ 21:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Kannz:
rw should be the second to last media used in a ps2 use a Verbatim DVD-R ONLY. it strains the laser to play crappy media I believe.
No such thing as straining a laser that is nothing more than a false tale

ps355528
_
22. March 2011 @ 23:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
actually scorp.. I have first hand experience of a console laser being 100% until it encountered a "Mr DVD" crap disk.. it tried and tried to read it.. and burned out the focus coils..

rubbish/damaged disks can and do damage lasers..

ARR! Them pesky Navy! Get out of my sea!
irc://irc.villageirc.net/afterdawn http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/
Advertisement
_
__

_
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
24. March 2011 @ 04:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps2 - dvd backup discussion > is no modchip required, if backup is bitset to dvd-rom??

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork