User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 05:11
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps2 - dvd backup discussion > need help with backups
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Need help with backups
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Shouter
_
27. January 2012 @ 01:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
So years ago either my dad or my dad's friend modded my original ps2. I have a bunch of back-ups that work fine, but recently I wanted to back up some other games. My dad doesn't remember how he used to make it work or what method was used to mod it. I don't think it was swap magic because I've never had to use some extra disc. My menu has browser and system configuration or whatever it is. So I'm guessing it's has a modchip, but I can't be certain.

I've researched a little and tried it myself to no avail. I first tried burning Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 using DVD Decrypter onto a Staples DVD+R at 8x speed(the blank disc was pretty old, though, and not kept in the best condition). Coaster. Then I tried Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne using Daemon Tools onto an HP DVD+R also at 8x. Coaster.

When I put either of the discs in, either it'll just stay at the screen with the floating light orbs or it'll say please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disc.

Next, I'm gonna try Persona 4 at 4x with DVD Decrypter and the HP DVD+R. If it works, I'll probably just delete this thread if it doesn't, can someone please give me some help with this? I've read that DVD-R are a safer bet, but I don't have any and some of the old back-ups I have are DVD+Rs(Verbatims and other higher quality stuff though).

EDIT: Persona 4 didn't work either...

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 27. January 2012 @ 02:37

sieg15
_
11. April 2012 @ 23:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Shouter:
So years ago either my dad or my dad's friend modded my original ps2. I have a bunch of back-ups that work fine, but recently I wanted to back up some other games. My dad doesn't remember how he used to make it work or what method was used to mod it. I don't think it was swap magic because I've never had to use some extra disc. My menu has browser and system configuration or whatever it is. So I'm guessing it's has a modchip, but I can't be certain.

I've researched a little and tried it myself to no avail. I first tried burning Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 using DVD Decrypter onto a Staples DVD+R at 8x speed(the blank disc was pretty old, though, and not kept in the best condition). Coaster. Then I tried Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne using Daemon Tools onto an HP DVD+R also at 8x. Coaster.

When I put either of the discs in, either it'll just stay at the screen with the floating light orbs or it'll say please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disc.

Next, I'm gonna try Persona 4 at 4x with DVD Decrypter and the HP DVD+R. If it works, I'll probably just delete this thread if it doesn't, can someone please give me some help with this? I've read that DVD-R are a safer bet, but I don't have any and some of the old back-ups I have are DVD+Rs(Verbatims and other higher quality stuff though).

EDIT: Persona 4 didn't work either...
Do you have an older model ps2? Based on what I know the older models don't support DVD+R or most RW disks. I use DVD-R and they work fine when I burn them with DVD Decrypter. A few other things you may want to try are:

1. Update the firmware on your disk drive. DVD Decrypter can tell you what brand your drive is and then you can just google the model for their latest firmware update.
2. Try different DVD brands, I couldn't burn anything with Memorex but when I switched to Sony brand it worked the first time
3. Burn at the slowest speed possible. I'd update your disk drive before you try this as it will make different options available to you. Try to always burn at the lowest possible speed for better accuracy or else the game may be blurry or unreadable.
4. Make sure that you have the burning software set to finalize the disk, it can't be read unless its finalized.

Hope this stuff helps you, good luck.
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > ps2 - dvd backup discussion > need help with backups

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork