User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 03:13
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > xbox - hardware mods > don't know what resistor to use
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Don't know what Resistor to use
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Guarino
_
14. March 2011 @ 15:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Im am placing some 5mm UV LED's in my 360.

I have ordered the LED's already but dont know how to find out what resistor I should use,100, 180, 220 ohm, just have no idea, and I have tried figuring out the calculator for this but not really understanding much of it.

So I was wounding if someone could please help me out
I am wanting to use 8-10 LED's

Here are the spec's on the LED's.

http://alan-parekh.vstore.ca/uv-led-5mm-3000mcd-p-16.html

LED Specifications

Emitted Colour : UV (ULTRA VIOLET)
Size (mm) : 5mm T1 3/4
Lens Colour : Water Clear
Peak Wave Length (nm) : 380 ~ 400
Forward Voltage (V) : 3.2 ~ 3.6
Typical Voltage (V) : 3.4
Reverse Current (uA) : <=30
Luminous Intensity Typ Iv (mcd) : 2000 ~ 3000(Max)
Life Rating : 80,000 ~ 100,000 Hours
Viewing Angle : ±10°
Absolute Maximum Ratings (Ta=25°C)
Max Power Dissipation : 80mw
Max Continuous Forward Current : 30mA
Max Peak Forward Current : 75mA
Reverse Voltage : 5~6V
Lead Soldering Temperature : 240°C (<5Sec)
Operating Temperature Range : -25°C ~ +85°C Preservative Temperature Range : -30°C ~ +100°C

Sometimes, you just don't know. Right? Come to think about it, I always do.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 14. March 2011 @ 15:42

Advertisement
_
__
Guarino
_
15. March 2011 @ 20:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
*BUMP*

Anyone?
TreePro
_
15. March 2011 @ 22:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Assuming you will use the 12 volts of power the LED you selected according to the sites calculator you will need a 330 ohm .5 watt per LED. Or up to max of 3 in series a single 68 ohm .25 watt resistor in series with LED's. To put 8 in series you would need min 28 volts so max of 3 in series at 12 volts.
Guarino
_
15. March 2011 @ 23:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
So how are you saying I should wire this up? From my understanding my options would be : One resistor per set of 3 LEDs will use one 68 ohm .25 w? (or) 8 LEDs with one 330 ohm .5 w?
Guarino
_
15. March 2011 @ 23:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
okay how about this, what resistor should I use if I wanted to use 8 LED's and have one resistor per LED?

Sorry, I love doing this kind of thing but when I go to the calculator I just dont understand how it works..
TreePro
_
16. March 2011 @ 00:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Guarino:
okay how about this, what resistor should I use if I wanted to use 8 LED's and have one resistor per LED?

Sorry, I love doing this kind of thing but when I go to the calculator I just dont understand how it works..
330 ohm .5 watt per LED if you use a 12 volt input.
Guarino
_
16. March 2011 @ 00:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
So much appreciated!!
TreePro
_
16. March 2011 @ 01:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
So much appreciated!!
No problem, glad to help. Remember to observe the polarity on LED, positive to Anode or it won't work.
Guarino
_
16. March 2011 @ 03:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by TreePro:
So much appreciated!!
No problem, glad to help. Remember to observe the polarity on LED, positive to Anode or it won't work.
What do you mean exactly?
Advertisement
_
__

_
TreePro
_
16. March 2011 @ 13:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by TreePro:
So much appreciated!!
What do you mean exactly?
Diodes will only allow current to flow in one direction So, you must connect them properly. A LED is a Light Emitting Diode. The longest lead is the Anode so positive is connected here. There is a flat spot also on most led's which is Cathode (shorter lead) and the negative is connected here. All LED's have a maximum continuous current, if exceeded they will burn out so, that is why resistor is needed to limit current. Different voltage require different resistor for same type LED.
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > xbox - hardware mods > don't know what resistor to use

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork