User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 03:36
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software specific discussion > dvd shrink forum > backups returning to title menu
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Backups Returning to Title Menu
  Jump to:

Posted Message
cdubs
_
24. July 2013 @ 00:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello! I have been using DVD Shrink for years to backup my DVDs. Last year I got a new laptop and still haven't been able to get DVD Shrink to work properly on it. My new computer is running Windows 7. I know that DVD Shrink wasn't intended for Windows 7, but have read where others have used it successfully with Windows 7. I am running DVD Shrink 3.2 with Nero Start Smart 8.

When backing up a DVD everything acts normal. When watching the backup DVD it will return to the title menu in the middle of the movie; usually after about 40 minutes into it and then it locks up and you can't do anything on the menu.

The last laptop I had was running Windows XP so I tried going into "compatibility mode" on DVD Shrink and changing it to Windows XP Service Pack 2 and then tried Windows XP Service Pack 3, but the backup did the same thing every time and returned to the title menu in the middle of watching the backup.

Does anyone have any other recommendations on what to try to get DVD Shrink to work with Windows 7? Does anyone have another program that they recommend that will work like DVD Shrink with Windows 7? I wouldn't even mind paying a little for a program if it's reasonably priced, but would prefer free-ware ;-)

Thanks!
Advertisement
_
__
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
24. July 2013 @ 00:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
shrink works fine in win 7 even on 64bit & why wouldn't it,without the dvd here its hard to say what the problem is unless it's the dvd itself the original that is not the copy you made,re-check the original it could be there are two titles & without realising it you've only copied title 1 or main title except it's a two parter & you needed title 2 as well,only other thing that comes to mind is the rip was a bit funny & you haven't dumped a lot of the crap from the dvd (pirate warnings etc)nor run the rip thru menu shrink,only other thing is use dvdfab to rip instead it's free to rip always no trial as it gets updated & shrink doesn't.
actually unless your trimmming front & end frames of the molvie you won't need shrink just use dvdfab as it has a burning engine as well works fine,just set dvd out put size to custom 4485 including burn speed say 6-8x

you have option in fab of dvd5 or 8 output

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 24. July 2013 @ 00:49

cdubs
_
24. July 2013 @ 17:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
scorpNZ,

Thanks for the response! My Win 7 is 64 bit. I don't know what is going on with Shrink; I'm backing up the DVDs using the same procedure I did on my old computer. I guess I could try and re-download Shrink to see if that changes anything. At first I thought it was the source DVD so I tried it and it played fine and didn't return to the title menu. I have had this trouble on every disc I have tried to backup on the new laptop. I am doing a "full disc" backup so I shouldn't have been able to miss the second title or anything.

Any other suggestions on getting DVD Shrink 3.2 to work? I will be trying to back up just the main movie with Shrink and I will let you know how that works. I will also have to give dvdfab a try- thanks for recommending it!
Chetwood
_
25. July 2013 @ 02:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Shrink runs fine on my Win 7 64bit. There have been comments on a messed up playback order due to newer copy protections Shrink can't handle. As sropNZ said, use DVDfab.

MultiMakeMKV: batch processing for MakeMKV (Win)
MultiShrink
: batch processing for DVD Shrink
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
cdubs
_
5. September 2013 @ 23:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey everyone. I am just now finding time to get back to this.

I tried to find a free version of dvd fab and all that I am running across is free 30-day trials. Is there a "lite version" that I am missing? Can someone tell me the best place to find the free dvd fab version? I surfed around on Google, checked dvdfab's site, download.com and cnet all with the same result.

I would like to find the version that scorpNZ referred to in his post above with the burning engine.

Thanks!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 5. September 2013 @ 23:15

Chetwood
_
6. September 2013 @ 02:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
There is only one version that has several modes, the ripping mode is free for good.

MultiMakeMKV: batch processing for MakeMKV (Win)
MultiShrink
: batch processing for DVD Shrink
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Advertisement
_
__

_
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
6. September 2013 @ 16:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yeah just use dvdfab to rip; it has it's own burn engine as well tho not sure if it stops burning once trial runs out wouldn't have thought so,then use shrink to process titles,use fabs settings & modify them to suit your preferences,you can also increase the std rip size of 4300 i think & take it up to 4485,the less compression the better the quality basically & don't forget about menu shrink (check software section) it's great for removing menu animation crap saving anything from 0-800mb that won't require compression or burning

afterdawn.com > forums > software specific discussion > dvd shrink forum > backups returning to title menu

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork