User User name Password  

Sunday 9.6.2024 / 23:12
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software specific discussion > dvd shrink forum > dts confusion
Show topics

Forums
Forums
DTS confusion
  Jump to:

Posted Message
eexob
_
19. May 2012 @ 15:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I've done some research and found similar questions asked beforehand, but have ended up confused by contradictory statements, so here goes:

I have a DVD player connected to my audio amplifier via digital optical output (Toslink), and also a Boxee Box media streamer also connected to the amplifier by Toslink. (No HDMI as the amp is too old, but its sound stage is gorgeous and well matched with a high end speaker system so I have no intention of replacement)

If I play A DVD with DTS soundtrack it is automatically detected as DTS by the amplifier, which then plays the sound track and displays DTS on its display instead of whatever format was displayed before playback started. The result is most certainly very surround sound to listen to, and when the DVD is stopped, the amplifier reverts to displaying whatever format was selected before. Perfect. Exactly what I would expect.

If I convert the same DVD to .iso image using DVD Shrink and ONLY including DTS, when I stream the resultant image from my NAS via Boxee Box, the amplifier plays sound but it does not display DTS. I know that the image only contains DTS because if I stream it to my laptop, the audio is silent because the laptop has no DTS decoding capability.

I don't get it! There is no LPCM 2 channel on the image, only DTS 5 channel, so how can the amplifier output sound but not show DTS on its display?

DVD player connected to DTS certified amplifier via Toslink.
Play a DTS encoded DVD.
Observe correct DTS decoding as confirmed by the amp automatically switching to DTS.

NAS connected to Boxee Box media streamer connected to DTS certified amplifier via Toslink.

Using any software (DVD Shrink is one example) make a copy of the DVD to any format, being sure to only include DTS 5.1 and not PCM stereo.
Play the copy on a laptop that doesn't support DTS.
Observe no sound. Perfect - as expected.
Stream the copy from the NAS to the DTS amplifier via Boxee Box and Toslink.
Observe sound (which can only be DTS) - but the amp resolutely refuses to display "DTS" and the sound quality is thin with back-to-back comparison against the DVD.

I do not therefore believe that the copy is DTS.

Swapping the Toslink cables for Boxee Box and DVD player confirms that I do not have a hardware issue. edited by ddp

Many thanks for explaining.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 20. May 2012 @ 11:22

Advertisement
_
__
Chetwood
_
20. May 2012 @ 01:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It's strange indeed cause Shrink NEVER touches the audio. Have you checked the files before/after with Mediainfo? What does it say?

MultiMakeMKV: batch processing for MakeMKV (Win)
MultiShrink
: batch processing for DVD Shrink
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
eexob
_
20. May 2012 @ 12:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Chetwood:
It's strange indeed cause Shrink NEVER touches the audio. Have you checked the files before/after with Mediainfo? What does it say?
Thanks for the idea, Chetwood. I will try to take a look and see tonight. If not it will be next weekend as I am away frpm home with work from sparrows o'clock tomorrow morning until Friday night.

Mods - sorry for the double posting. I created the first post as part of creating an account and having done so couldn't see it some time later, so created the second one.
eexob
_
20. May 2012 @ 14:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I sneaked in a quick check with between dinner and kids bedtime.
Heres what I found, starting with DVD Shrink and ending up with Mediainfo.

[Humph. Seems that as a User of the web since August 1st 1994 Im not allowed to be trusted to post links! :) Excuse that you therefore need to cut and paste the URLs as well as remove the space after http]

DVD Shrink audio selection:
http ://tinyurl.com/cv4ycm4

Confirmation of audio selection:
http ://tinyurl.com/d8mdj92

Confirmation of backup format:
http ://tinyurl.com/csal8of

Mediainfo confirmation of audio stream:
http ://tinyurl.com/cpjf3xc

I've also tried creating an .ISO container, but whilst the Boxee streams it quite happily, the amplifier still fails to detect the DTS stream; music plays, but there is no DTS legend on the display panel and again the music quality is thin compared to DTS (back to back with the original DVD). Exactly the same as with the conventional _TS approach shown above.

I think this points to a "Boxee Box weak link in the chain" issue, so will try to do some research centred on it.

Cheers,
eexoB

(Edited to correct typos)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 20. May 2012 @ 14:57

eexob
_
20. May 2012 @ 15:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by eexob:
I think this points to a "Boxee Box weak link in the chain" issue, so will try to do some research centred on it.
Quick check confirms DTS is enabled on the Boxee Box, so the plot thickens.

Signing off for now as need to pack for the week's travels.

/eexoB
eexob
_
26. May 2012 @ 18:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Confirmed as an old Boxee Box bug that has returned with the current Firmware. :(
Advertisement
_
__

_
Chetwood
_
27. May 2012 @ 02:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Great. Well, at least you know what caused this.

MultiMakeMKV: batch processing for MakeMKV (Win)
MultiShrink
: batch processing for DVD Shrink
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
afterdawn.com > forums > software specific discussion > dvd shrink forum > dts confusion

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork