User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 19:18
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software specific discussion > dvd shrink forum > free substitute program?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Free substitute program?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
kimical
_
14. November 2012 @ 00:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
DVD Shrink has been my favorite shrinking/re-authoring program hands down. Only a few months ago I started having trouble with the files and ISOs (meaning I get too many cyclic redundancy errors and bad burns to disc). I guess it was a Windows 7 update or something like that. I don't want to go back to using Nero because it's cumbersome, bloated and expensive. DVDFab isn't free, either, and the version I had kept crashing my computer.

So, is there a good free program out there to replace DVD Shrink? I'm looking for the ability to copy single title, multiple titles without menus, or full. Also I like the features to choose or leave out subtitle files, leave out directors' comments, re-order the titles, etc. and especially the ability to choose start and end times to combine multiple sections of one video into one dvd for editing purposes. I run these files in ConvertXtoDVD or Womble DVD later to stitch them together. DVD Shrink was wonderfully simple and clean. I really miss it.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 14. November 2012 @ 00:29

Advertisement
_
__
Chetwood
_
14. November 2012 @ 02:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I don't. I use DVDFab to rid the movie of all protections, encode with Shrink to ISO as usual, and burn with ImgBurn.

MultiMakeMKV: batch processing for MakeMKV (Win)
MultiShrink
: batch processing for DVD Shrink
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
JST1946
_
14. November 2012 @ 05:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I just use DVDfab plain and simple.I haven't had any problems and have been using it for about 8 years. I used to use DVD decrypter and DVD Shrink a long time ago.They are both outdated and don't work on a lot of the newer movies.

20 Year U.S.Army Veteran.Vietnam 1969-1972 101st Abn.Div.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 14. November 2012 @ 17:09

kimical
_
14. November 2012 @ 11:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by JST1946:
I just DVDfab plain and simple.I haven't had any problems and have been using it for about 8 years. I used to use DVD decrypter and DVD Shrink a long time ago.They are both outdated and don't work on a lot of the newer movies.
Does DVDFab let you add multiple titles without having a menu, or let you choose start and stop times on each title? I do not like using menus on DVDs. I will often put several episodes on one disc without a menu. Sometimes I will take files from one ISO and combine them with another ISO to create a final disc image. Basically, re-authoring.

I tried using the customize feature before on DVDFab, but it didn't really work the way DVDShrink did - it still included the menus. Nor did it have an option for setting start and end times on titles. If it has been updated to include those features, I would be interested in trying it out again.
JST1946
_
14. November 2012 @ 14:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Have you read up on the tutorial for the latest version.I'm not an expert like some of these other guys,but I would give it another shot at it.

http://www.dvdfab.com/tutorial

kimical
_
14. November 2012 @ 14:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Have you read up on the tutorial for the latest version.I'm not an expert like some of these other guys,but I would give it another shot at it.

I will take a look. Not much other choice, huh? I appreciate your input.
JST1946
_
14. November 2012 @ 17:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Your welcome and good luck.(Chonmaneyo)아니에요

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 14. November 2012 @ 18:19

Chetwood
_
15. November 2012 @ 01:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Outdated, my ass. DVD Shrink still does exactly what it's been programmed for. It never was inteded as the one and only tool to circumvent latest protections.

MultiMakeMKV: batch processing for MakeMKV (Win)
MultiShrink
: batch processing for DVD Shrink
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
JST1946
_
15. November 2012 @ 01:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Whatever.It's not worth arguing over.Es macht nichts!

scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
15. November 2012 @ 02:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by kimical:

I will take a look. Not much other choice, huh? I appreciate your input.
I know the crashing thing you experience with fab in win7 i get it as well tho in the last few updates it's improved somewhat still not good enough,works fine with xp

No need to remove shrink i use it plus many other programs to do whats required
however when fab is being useless i'll switch to anydvd,which is no good to you for obvious reasons so maybe the links below can help or not, & while i'm here login as often as poss & check AD home page for new or updated software,you'll eventually come across plenty of software that's free for this n that

http://www.allfreevideoconverter.com/freedvdripper/index.html

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=free+...-a&channel=fflb

kimical
_
7. December 2012 @ 12:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Unfortunately, DVDFab does not let you put multiple titles on a disc without leaving the menu (and therefore, leaving the intro clips like studio titles). I also have not been able to use two sources to put multiple titles onto one disc. Nor does it let me crop titles. It's still a good program, and I would be overjoyed if it would have kept these functions from DVDShrink. To be honest, though, I didn't really expect it, I was just hoping. As technology progresses, it seems programs and devices are making decisions for us instead of allowing personalization. Goes with the times. :(

PS. Thanks, scorpNZ, I will definitely look into it!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 7. December 2012 @ 12:16

_
7. December 2012 @ 23:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
As Chetwood stated, rip the movie with DVDFab....full disk if you want everything, or main movie if you do not want all the extras.

Once the movie is ripped, then go ahead and use DVD Shrink as you normally would.

I only use DVDFab to copy the disks, and then use a few other programs to take keep what I want, and then burn to a disk.

scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
8. December 2012 @ 01:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
dvd shrink does & can let you put titles from multiple sources onto one disc it just means you have no menu,if you wanted to create menu i'd send a pm to attar he'd have the info you'd need or just search the forum on how to do it there are numerous posts about it

nero recode 10 can do what you require for free if you know where to go

This top one apparently can create menus
http://www.minidvdsoft.com/dvdcreator/

http://www.deskshare.com/dvd-authoring-burning-software.aspx
http://download.videohelp.com/dvdforger/
http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software-download.htm
http://download.cnet.com/Video-DVD-Make...4-10466438.html

snotboy1
_
12. December 2012 @ 10:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
DVD Shrink has been my favorite shrinking/re-authoring program hands down. Only a few months ago I started having trouble with the files and ISOs (meaning I get too many cyclic redundancy errors and bad burns to disc). I guess it was a Windows 7 update or something like that. I dont want to go back to using Nero because its cumbersome, bloated and expensive. DVDFab isnt free, either, and the version I had kept crashing my computer.

So, is there a good free program out there to replace DVD Shrink? Im looking for the ability to copy single title, multiple titles without menus, or full. Also I like the features to choose or leave out subtitle files, leave out directors comments, re-order the titles, etc. and especially the ability to choose start and end times to combine multiple sections of one video into one dvd for editing purposes. I run these files in ConvertXtoDVD or Womble DVD later to stitch them together. DVD Shrink was wonderfully simple and clean. I really miss it.
------------------------------------------
CRC ERRORS ARE EITHER crappy media and or bad burner
go buy a burner for 40 dollars US and some good media like tyyuan
go to VIDEOHELP.COM THATS where i learned
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
12. December 2012 @ 17:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by snotboy1:
DVD Shrink has been my favorite shrinking/re-authoring program hands down. Only a few months ago I started having trouble with the files and ISOs (meaning I get too many cyclic redundancy errors and bad burns to disc). I guess it was a Windows 7 update or something like that. I dont want to go back to using Nero because its cumbersome, bloated and expensive. DVDFab isnt free, either, and the version I had kept crashing my computer.

So, is there a good free program out there to replace DVD Shrink? Im looking for the ability to copy single title, multiple titles without menus, or full. Also I like the features to choose or leave out subtitle files, leave out directors comments, re-order the titles, etc. and especially the ability to choose start and end times to combine multiple sections of one video into one dvd for editing purposes. I run these files in ConvertXtoDVD or Womble DVD later to stitch them together. DVD Shrink was wonderfully simple and clean. I really miss it.
------------------------------------------
CRC ERRORS ARE EITHER crappy media and or bad burner
go buy a burner for 40 dollars US and some good media like tyyuan
go to VIDEOHELP.COM THATS where i learned
wtf you on about

Advertisement
_
__

_
snotboy1
_
12. December 2012 @ 18:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I meant that dvdshrink is a great program, and that if you go to videohelp.com youcan find other authoring/editing programs. the problems you describe are not due to dvdshrink errors (in my opinion) they are due to 1. bad blank media, 2. media not compatabile with your burner, 3. an old burner, 4. bad hard disk or a combination of all the above. also maybe most importantly is the quality of the rip.

NEILY
afterdawn.com > forums > software specific discussion > dvd shrink forum > free substitute program?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork