User User name Password  

Sunday 9.6.2024 / 20:44
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software specific discussion > dvd shrink forum > question about dvd flick, avi files and subtitles
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Question about DVD Flick, AVI files and subtitles
  Jump to:

Posted Message
mancislan
_
4. August 2011 @ 19:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello,
I have an AVI file that I want to turn into a DVD burnable file.
It is a foreign film that comes with subtitles. But the subtitles are not burnt on the screen. They come separately.
I was hoping that DVD flick (version 1.3.0.7) would be able to turn the AVI file into a DVD burnable file, and also include the subtitles that come with it. But everytime I go to "Edit Title" and try to add the subtitles, this message pops up:
"The subtitle file you selected appears to be graphical. DVD Flick only supports textual subtitles"
By the way, the AVI file comes with two more files: an SUB and an IDX file.
I have no idea what those two files really do or are. But I am pretty sure that combined, they allow the AVI file to play with the subtitles.

Any information on how to turn this AVI file into a dvd burnable file with the subtitles will be welcome. Thanks!!!
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
4. August 2011 @ 19:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The subs are bitmapped not text.
You could use SubTitleCreator to OCR them to .srt format.
Locate .srt subs from download site and hope they sync.

I would:
Convert the sub/idx to .sup format with SubToSup.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/SubToSup

Use AvsToDVD to convert the avi to DVD and add the .sup file.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD

This assumes that you know the subs sync up with the AVI when played back on the PC.
mancislan
_
4. August 2011 @ 20:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for the quick reply and for the info!
I just started the process.
One question: will this "burn" the subtitles on the video, or will it give the option to turn them on and off?
Also: is there a way to do this using DVD Flick?
I have never used AvstoDVD before, but I have used DVD Flick numerous times and it always does a good job.
Thanks again!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. August 2011 @ 21:04

AfterDawn Addict
_
4. August 2011 @ 21:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It outputs a DVD with switchable subs (like DVD Flick) - it also uses ImgBurn to optionally burn the disk.

If you want to use DVD Flick you have to either convert the subs to a text format(e.g. .srt) or procure the likes of .srt subs from a site..

Possibly, you might want to try DVDSubEdit to load the .sup file (it will then ask you to open an .ifo file - browse to any .ifo file you have on the pc and let it load them).
On the lower right of the screen there is a 'Run OCR' and 'Save as SRT' button.
Try that and see if you get a decent list.
If it's ok, use that in DVD Flick.
Chetwood
_
5. August 2011 @ 01:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Why should he OCR from graphical to text when the output DVD also needs graphical subs? Also, I fail to see how any of this is related to DVD Shrink.

MultiMakeMKV: batch processing for MakeMKV (Win)
MultiShrink
: batch processing for DVD Shrink
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
AfterDawn Addict
_
5. August 2011 @ 05:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
any of this is related to DVD Shrink.
Not DVD Shrink, it's DVD Flick.
Chetwood
_
6. August 2011 @ 01:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Exactly. And this forum deals with DVD Shrink.

MultiMakeMKV: batch processing for MakeMKV (Win)
MultiShrink
: batch processing for DVD Shrink
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict
_
6. August 2011 @ 07:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Click 'Report' and have a moderator move it.
afterdawn.com > forums > software specific discussion > dvd shrink forum > question about dvd flick, avi files and subtitles

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork