User User name Password  

Tuesday 28.5.2024 / 21:53
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > general discussion > afterdawn feedback & suggestions > c'mon afterdawn!
Show topics

Forums
Forums
C'mon Afterdawn!
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict

3 product reviews
_
23. March 2010 @ 10:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Just like to ad my two pennies worth. I have used afterdawn on a daily basis, everyday for the last year with non of these problems. I use Chrome & Firefox at home and IE @ work. I do not use any ad blockers at all.

The only problem I every had with ADs ad's (afterdawns ads) was with that damn hummingbird sony ad. The humming birds would follow your cursor across the screen and when you went to click on a post, you would click on the hummingbird which brought you to sonys site. Haven't seen this for about a month though.

I also find it very good that the mods & admins are actually actively trying to solve this problem.

To get instant assistance with Flashing / JTAG / Homebrew from experts for free! click me (Im not one of the said experts BTW)

Make poverty history, cheaper drugs NOW!
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict

3 product reviews
_
23. March 2010 @ 10:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Doh, double post! Ignore.

To get instant assistance with Flashing / JTAG / Homebrew from experts for free! click me (Im not one of the said experts BTW)

Make poverty history, cheaper drugs NOW!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 23. March 2010 @ 10:53

Admin

9 product reviews
_
23. March 2010 @ 11:16 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by miketrev:
The only problem I every had with ADs ad's (afterdawns ads) was with that damn hummingbird sony ad. The humming birds would follow your cursor across the screen and when you went to click on a post, you would click on the hummingbird which brought you to sonys site. Haven't seen this for about a month though.
If you run into problematic advertisements (advertisements that behave like you described above, or that cover content on the site or are clearly misplaced), please do send us feedback either via the discussion forums or by using the feedback tab at the right (or the contact link at the bottom).

The advertisements shown for US and UK visitors at www.afterdawn.com are heavily geotargetted (i.e. visible only in countries specified by the advertiser), which means that most of the time we here at AfterDawn development never see them, and can't react to them. On our Finnish site we run a tight ship - no misbehaving advertisements are allowed on the site.

Jari Ketola
Administrator
http://www.AfterDawn.com
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
24. March 2010 @ 03:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I think this is why Bing is doing so well...google may have the best maps and the best search engine, but when you have to skip the first page of sponsored results (some of them viral, and already blocked!), you might as well be using AOL search!
donewell
_
24. March 2010 @ 14:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by KillerBug:
I think this is why Bing is doing so well...google may have the best maps and the best search engine, but when you have to skip the first page of sponsored results (some of them viral, and already blocked!), you might as well be using AOL search!
Read This http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-200008...adStoriesArea.1
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
25. March 2010 @ 05:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Google is so full of crap...a quote from the article:

"When our automated system is able to identify a problem, we immediately stop serving the affected ads, and then work to refine our security measures to help capture and disable similar ads for all DoubleClick publishers and advertisers"

They know that they can never prevent all of these java-based malware ads. The only way they will ever make their ads safe is to go back to a GIF/JPG-only ad requirement. Just an image and a hyperlink that only activates when it is clicked. Can't make your ad using GIF? Tough luck!

They should post something like this on their site: "We are not going to risk our reputation for your company, especialy if the first thing you do is to spend money writing a java-based ad that could have been made more affordably, efficiently, and safely as an image file; the only reason to do that is to infect, confuse, trick, or at least annoy the users"

This is the only "Security Measure" that can stop all of this, and it needs to be implemented quickly. As it is, many people have become frustrated enough with all of this that they block just about everything but images, css, and html. It is already so bad that it is now safer to download pirated software than to browse the web without blocking everything (even the various Flash and Java things that are wanted).

In conclusion, these companies know that they are enabling these problems, and they refuse to do anything about them because they know that these malware artists represent a good amount of revenue to them. Yeah, they might remove something that is a blatent virus from time to time, but they will not even consider removing something that is non-viral, but that spawns a non-closable "pop-in" that blocks the site it is on.

I wouldn't even mind all this crap if there were not so many laws against freedom on the net...but there are laws to protect these virus pedlers! If I were to DOS attack a company that is attacking millions of ordinary users, I would be the criminal!
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
14. April 2010 @ 03:55 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I finally found a good fix to both prevent the evil ads, and to prevent all the ads from starting to download in the first place. All I had to do was to add a few hundred domains to my hosts file.

Here is the list I used: http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/
_
14. April 2010 @ 05:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
All i had to do was click a handful of links in ABP :)

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
14. April 2010 @ 23:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I tried that...but ABP still downloads the ads even when they are not displayed, sometimes freezing the page load in the process. This prevents the ad servers from being contacted in the first place.
_
15. April 2010 @ 04:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Are you sure you aren't blocking enough links with ABP ?, the reason i ask is that i've found that if i block too many links the ban functionality is disabled, the links in question are ajax.googleapis.something (Java scripts), at first i was blocking virtually everything and i couldn't figure out where the ban button had gone so i had to unblock bit by bit until the ban button reappeared.
After a bit of messing i found i could block just about enough links to make the page loads fast enough.

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 15. April 2010 @ 04:33

Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
15. April 2010 @ 04:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That was probably my problem...I wanted to block all the ads that cause problems...and from what you say, ABP gets overloaded with all the problematic ads on this site. My method works on all the ads, without the need for ABP. Plus, it makes the page load a lot faster, as about 95% of all the download speed used for afterdawn goes to advertising (again, ABP does not stop the ads from downloading; only from displaying). Oh, and I don't even have to select the ads I want blocked...because they are never even loaded the first time.

afterdawn.com > forums > general discussion > afterdawn feedback & suggestions > c'mon afterdawn!

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork