User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 13:57
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > xbox 360 - modding & hacking > need help fixing rrod
Show topics

Forums
Forums
need help fixing RROD
  Jump to:

Posted Message
jcarbajal44
_
14. February 2014 @ 14:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello, im new to this and first of all I bought this first gen xbox 360 off a friend for 20 bucks, had the RROD.
So I look into fixing it, I did the penny mod, it worked and I was playing older games like turok and mass effect fine.
Now I did the x-clamps mod and renoved the old heatsink paste, put new stuff and put it back, now I bought and downloaded skate 2 from the market place. It plays fine for about 10 minutes then says the disc is unreadable, then after I press a the screen goes blank and I get 1 red light on the bottom right side. I cant play newwer games like homefront or saints row the 3rd or it either freezes or says the disc is unreadable. Can soneone help me find out whats wrong? I could buy another xbox but this one I already spent money and tine on it. I got it talismoon fans and im currently cutting out a star trek emblem on the side of the case. I think the gpu is getting too hot. The cpu heatsink gets warm but the gpu gets hot cause I guess its under the dvd drive. Also I didnt use artic silver, the x-clamp kit came with a white heatsink paste.
Advertisement
_
__
richietea
_
15. February 2014 @ 04:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If your getting just 1 red light it usually refers to something else other than a overheating problem.Have you flashed the dvd drive with custom firmware? Is the HDD connected properly?If your not getting lock-ups or artifacts on screen but are seeing disc unreadable then its either a firmware problem,laser or dvd unit issue.The heatsinks are meant to be hot.Close the case and feel the vents at the back.It should be luke warm as this indicates correct heat displacement.Use the link below for all updated error codes and their descriptions.

http://xbox-experts.com/errorcodes.php
jcarbajal44
_
15. February 2014 @ 04:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I tried reflowing, I thought maybe the sodered joints were cracked so I tried woots reflow, I put artic silver on the chips and booted back on, now I get a black screen and 3 red lights. I never tried flashing custom firmware and I dont have an external hard drive, im using a usb flash drive for my game saves. Im starting to loose hope that this xbox is fixable.
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. February 2014 @ 04:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I am not really a fan of the XClamp fix, especially if you don't really know what you're doing. You could kill the box by putting the screws too tight or too lose. Remove the XClamp fix and put the old Xclamps back in to see if that fixes your problems.
Originally posted by jcarbajal44:
I tried reflowing, I thought maybe the sodered joints were cracked so I tried woots reflow, I put artic silver on the chips and booted back on, now I get a black screen and 3 red lights. I never tried flashing custom firmware and I dont have an external hard drive, im using a usb flash drive for my game saves. Im starting to loose hope that this xbox is fixable.
Easy solution: Put the mainboard in the oven, around 200° to 250° Celsius 10 to 15 minutes. but make sure the board is absolutely levelled. And then don't touch or move the board untill it has cooled down. If it works again you're good to go, if not you killed it with the reflowing.

Xbox 360: Slim untouched with a faked 320 GB harddrive for XBL, phat with LT 3.0, played Halo early, so going on live would be an instand ban, also with a faked 320 GB harddrive
PS3: Untouched 160 GB Slim, 60 GB Fat with latest Rogero and 160 GB internal harddrive.
PSVita: hardly ever play it
GameCube: Black with a Viper chip installed. With gameboy player. Trying to get a Wavebird controller.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 15. February 2014 @ 04:56

richietea
_
15. February 2014 @ 10:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Sounds like you have made it twice as bad.It could of been salvageable when you had 1 ring.I have done dozens where after a clean and reapplied thermal paste and burn in.Burning in is in my eyes is essential and it brings the temp to a working state.I usually do this by blocking the fans from spinning and letting it overheat again from 3 rings down to 2 then leaving it for 30 seconds and shutting down and cooling for 30 mins.8/10 success rate doing this method.Never done a reflow in a oven.They do say it works but on many a forum its not a recommended fix.
jcarbajal44
_
15. February 2014 @ 13:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I reflowed with a heat gun 1 minute on the backside on 750 and 4 minutes focusing on all the chips constantly moving the heat gun.
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. February 2014 @ 14:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by richietea:
Sounds like you have made it twice as bad.It could of been salvageable when you had 1 ring.I have done dozens where after a clean and reapplied thermal paste and burn in.Burning in is in my eyes is essential and it brings the temp to a working state.I usually do this by blocking the fans from spinning and letting it overheat again from 3 rings down to 2 then leaving it for 30 seconds and shutting down and cooling for 30 mins.8/10 success rate doing this method.Never done a reflow in a oven.They do say it works but on many a forum its not a recommended fix.
How permanent is your burning fix? I have repaired more than one RROD with the oven reflow, the boxes I kept are still running, don't know about the rest. Some were in the same state as the OP's when I got them.

Xbox 360: Slim untouched with a faked 320 GB harddrive for XBL, phat with LT 3.0, played Halo early, so going on live would be an instand ban, also with a faked 320 GB harddrive
PS3: Untouched 160 GB Slim, 60 GB Fat with latest Rogero and 160 GB internal harddrive.
GameCube: Black with a Viper chip installed. With gameboy player. Trying to get a Wavebird controller.
jcarbajal44
_
15. February 2014 @ 16:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ok so I fixed the 3 red lights the bolts weren tight enought now im back to e71 how would I go about wiping it?
AfterDawn Addict
_
16. February 2014 @ 03:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That's what I found on the net:
Quote:
Xbox 360 e71 error is not caused by overheating damaging the graphics processor unit (GPU) or video scaler (HANA/ANA) chip. However, the problem is that nobody is 100% sure what actually causes the e71 in the first place.

Most likely the problem relates to dashboard and console updates. Also, the problem appears to arise from gamers incorrectly flashing their hardware or doing botched firmware hacks which then prevent the system from functioning correctly.

Have you recently updated your Xbox 360 in anyway, or have you (or anyone else) attempted some form of firmware hack or flash? If so, this is probably the cause of the e71 code on your Xbox, however, it could also be completely random.

Fixing the Xbox e71 is quite tricky. Firstly, you could try completely resetting your Xbox 360. To do this, enter the dashboard, go to the right-most column, go and press "Initial Set Up" then follow the instructions on screen.

If you cannot access this screen due to the e71 error on your Xbox 360, you can try holding the "Y" button on your controller as you switch the console on. This will enter the same process, and restore default factory settings. However, there is still a chance that this might not work, and that you could be stranded with the e71 code.
You can try that, but seriously, I think you're beating a dead horse here.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 16. February 2014 @ 03:12

jcarbajal44
_
16. February 2014 @ 12:58 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks, I will try it if not I guess im getting another xbox
Advertisement
_
__

_
richietea
_
17. February 2014 @ 03:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Heatgun the hana chip on it own,you have nothing to lose now.
afterdawn.com > forums > consoles > xbox 360 - modding & hacking > need help fixing rrod

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork