User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 16:57
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > mobile devices > ipod discussion > itunes won't recognize ipod classic
Show topics

Forums
Forums
iTunes won't recognize iPod Classic
  Jump to:

Posted Message
MeliLing
_
14. July 2012 @ 18:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi Guys,

I have an old iPod Classic 5th Generation 80GB Model MA450LL. I haven't used it in ages, but still have some music, videos and my address book on it. Everything seems to work fine so I decided to sell the iPod on ebay. When I tried to restore it to factory settings I realized that it won't connect to iTunes. I don't care about saving the data on it, in contrary I want to make sure that all the info is deleted (especially my address book) so that I can sell it.
I pretty much tried everything that I could find on the web so far. Tried to connect different usb ports, I updated iTunes to latest software 10.6.3 (I'm running on Lion) I put the iPod in Disk Mode and then tried to connect again, but nothing.
If i connect to my mac first and then open iTunes, iTunes freezes and I have to force quit.

Is there anything else I can try to restore the iPod to factory settings??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
_
__
JST1946
_
14. July 2012 @ 19:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   

20 Year U.S.Army Veteran.Vietnam 1969-1972 101st Abn.Div.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 14. July 2012 @ 19:21

MeliLing
_
15. July 2012 @ 13:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have tried literary every single thing is that article... any other suggestions? Could it be that iPod Classic 5th gen is just not compatible with OSX Lion??
JST1946
_
15. July 2012 @ 15:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Have you tried a different cable or clean the contacts? Just a remote possibility. It can't hurt to try.

MeliLing
_
15. July 2012 @ 15:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thank for your reply. Yes I checked cables and also tried different ones...
JST1946
_
15. July 2012 @ 22:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Does your USB ports work with any other device? I don't know if you tried this already or not.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1410?viewlocale=en_US

hanoobal
_
23. July 2012 @ 12:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by MeliLing:
Could it be that iPod Classic 5th gen is just not compatible with OSX Lion??
Was the iPod used with a Windows machine previously? It might also be possible that the hard-disk is damaged. Sometimes, iPods with damaged disk continue to operate normally, at least seemingly.
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
14. August 2012 @ 21:38 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
How does plugging into a computer damage the hard disk? You Apple users believe in computer magic. There have been routines in itunes from time to time that turn off features on your ipod if you transfer tunes to and from more than one computer. Oh and by the way ipods don't work if the hard disk is damaged. They are dead then.

It is just as likely Meiling is correct.
hanoobal
_
16. August 2012 @ 09:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hm, not sure about that. Sectors of an iPod hard drive may very much be physically damaged and the iPod could still behave as normal. In the best-case scenario the file system on the iPod could have become corrupt during an unsafe disconnect. This will not damage the hard disk but could still bring about the issue MeLing described.

More about failing iPod hard disk issues from this Apple Community thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3784647?start=0&tstart=0
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
16. August 2012 @ 21:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The file system is different, software can screw them up and if you stop written before a file is closed that will damage the file.

The Wikipedia S.M.A.R.T. article may be correct for apple disks but I have a utility that will fix bad blocks. It finds blocks that are going to fail and 'sharpens' them up. It will re-shape bad blocks. You do not get the data back from bad blocks but the OS normally moves the data before the block is unreadable. The application was made by Seagate and would not repair WD disks.
Advertisement
_
__

_
_
29. July 2013 @ 11:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ipod/five_rs/classic/ had to hold play and home on my ipod 160gb toggle the hold switch 5 times
basically resets faulty software, might be worth trying i forces a reboot, unlike turning it on and off it restarts all the software

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 29. July 2013 @ 11:04

Related links
Visit our iPod forum room to discuss about Apple's portable players.

Related forum topics Posts Last post Forum room
End of an era: iPod discontinued - the device that revolutionized music industry 1 3. June 2022 News comments
Tim Cook: Apple Watch and wearables bigger than iPod ever was 1 17. January 2019 News comments
Apple revealed a new iPod, first update since 2012 6 20. July 2015 News comments
R.I.P. Apple iPod Classic 3 15. September 2014 News comments
Having issues moving music from ipod to laptop 14 15. May 2014 iPod discussion
ipod nano wont allow me to add music? 4 18. April 2014 iPod discussion
ipod 4g to tv issue 2 9. April 2014 iPod discussion
IPOD on JVC Boomblaster input? 1 26. January 2014 Receivers and amplifiers
Analyst: R.I.P iPod Classic 4 13. September 2013 News comments
ipod - various 10 9. September 2013 iPod discussion

afterdawn.com > forums > mobile devices > ipod discussion > itunes won't recognize ipod classic

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork