User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 16:47
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > hd dvd discussion > 720p possible on dvd player... but can't read mkv?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
720p possible on DVD player... but can't read MKV?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
norendir
_
31. December 2010 @ 14:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello,
I recently purchased a DVD player which claims "Divx Certified to play Divx video up to 720p." I was stoked... until I discovered that all the 720p files I've found on internet are in MKV format, which the DVD player can NOT play... So my question is: where are all these "720p Divx" videos that the DVD manufacturer is referring to, if the STANDARD out there is MKV format? If MKV is indeed the standard for 720p, then why don't the DVD manufacturers include an MKV codec(or container or whatever) that the player CAN handle? I don't see what's the good of this 720p feature of the DVD player, if there aren't any videos which it can reproduce!
Since I'm new to this, I'm having to assume that for viewing MKV files on TV, that these days everyone must be connecting their PC directly to their HD TV set via HDMI?(and using the good old VLC player on their PC.) I have an HD LCD TV with HDMI input, but unfortunately I don't have any PC with HDMI, so I was hoping this DVD player would sort me out, which unfortunatly it didn't.
Any advice or suggestions? (I already know it may be possible to convert MKV to AVI, but would rather not have to do this, given the huge amount of PC processing time needed to do convert every video...)
Thanks!
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > hd dvd discussion > 720p possible on dvd player... but can't read mkv?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork