User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 12:35
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > hd dvd discussion > help with playing hd dvd
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Help with playing HD DVD
  Jump to:

Posted Message
solamax
_
22. July 2009 @ 11:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have a LG GGWH20L drive that supports BR and HD DVD disc. I am using Powerdvd 9 ultra and can only play BR disc. It tells me I have no dvd in drive when I put in a HD DVD disc. I try Powerdvd 7.3 and it keeps wanting me to upgrade, when I click no, it still does not read the disc. Is there a software that plays HD DVD? My system is a AMD X4 955BE with 4 gb ram, ATI 4890 videocard, 7.1 soundcard. I also try explorer to see if there is anything in the drive and it shows nothing with BR nad HD DVD disc. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
Advertisement
_
__
qwert99
_
22. July 2009 @ 14:14 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I don't have an answer for you, but try PowerDVD 8. In my HTPC it has been the version that has always worked for me, and I've tried all of the versions.

By the way, it's normal for the drive to not display its contents in Explorer. My bluray drive never displays BDR content, either.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 22. July 2009 @ 14:17

3 product reviews
_
22. July 2009 @ 15:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Power DVD 8 and 9 both have HD DVD format support removed.

I had the same issue, unfortunatley you'll need to install the version that comes on the CD with the drive, then run HD DVD movies with that, and all other with the Version 9.

Another problem is that most newer BR movies won't play in version 7, all you get is blocked garbled screen.

Cyberlink decided that as HD had lost the format war, it wouldn't bother to support it anymore.

There is a patch out for a particular version 8, but when I tried it, it didn't work.

I happily have both installed on my HTPC, and set v9 as default, its then only with the HD DVD movies I have to select the older version to play the film.

solamax
_
22. July 2009 @ 17:41 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I tried the patch for version 8 and it didn't work for me either when trying to run the .ax file (last step). The thing that sucks is that I bought a oem version not retail, so now I have to find a cd. Bummer
qwert99
_
22. July 2009 @ 17:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have to use version 8 to get it to even work with bluray. It can be pretty finnicky.

Have you tried removing copy protection from the HD DVD using AnyDVD? HDCP can cause a lot of problems, too.
solamax
_
22. July 2009 @ 20:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Does it mean I have to RIP it? I just want to be able to put my HD DVD in my drive and play it. I am not interest in making back up, etc.
qwert99
_
22. July 2009 @ 22:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
No, you don't have to rip it. AnyDVD just runs silently in the background and removes all copy protection/HDCP protection from the disc. It's a really great program.

There is a trial version, I think. Or you can buy it for pretty cheap and get lifetime upgrades/support. Or there are cracks out there.

3 product reviews
_
23. July 2009 @ 05:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
AnyDVd doesn't sort any of the issue for me, I use the HD version all the time, and have been since it came out.

You could try windvd plus, I've never used it, but it should be good and work okay, you'll then have an all in one solution.
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/g...28458632#format

3 product reviews
_
27. July 2009 @ 09:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If by it being helpful you mean 'anydvd'.

Then it doesn't help with DVD playback, only advantage is it will remove any copy protection, and as such allow you to rip the film to a HDD for playback from there, that's what I do, so all my films are accessable without having to retrieve the disks every time.

BD disks can also have the HDCP removed, which enables playback without limitation of hardware compliance.

I've already filled up 2 x 1TB drives, thats the only downside, but then I'm selective of what I want available to play instantly, otherwise it would have been 4-5 drives filled up.

EIZOER
_
27. July 2009 @ 09:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If you just installed the disc, there is an earlier patch (17something, the later one removes hddvd) for 7.3 that lets you play more blu-rays and The Frightners hddvd with 5.1 sound. I couldn't get it directly and had to google for the right cyberlink page.

Hope this helps.
_
8. March 2010 @ 07:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by BigDK:
AnyDVd doesn't sort any of the issue for me, I use the HD version all the time, and have been since it came out.

You could try windvd plus, I've never used it, but it should be good and work okay, you'll then have an all in one solution.
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/g...#format

I have no idea about what defference they have, but I TRUST Google only...

You never say listen, I'm all ears.

3 product reviews
_
8. March 2010 @ 10:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What are you trying to say?

ddp
_
9. March 2010 @ 12:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
maybe a wannabe spammer as 2 other posts of his are not helpful posts.
JoshuaG
_
15. April 2010 @ 03:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well have you tried to play with VLC player latest version or Windows Media player Classic latest version. I had never played any but I think it will work.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 26. April 2010 @ 12:02

_
20. May 2010 @ 02:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I am also in same situation, I have problem in my cyberlink 7.3 and running HD DVD movies. whenever you get its solution, please assist me. Thanks
Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
2. July 2010 @ 15:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by JohnRocks:
I am also in same situation, I have problem in my cyberlink 7.3 and running HD DVD movies. whenever you get its solution, please assist me. Thanks

I personally dropped PowerDVD after version 7 when I heard that HD DVD was being dropped and picked up ArcSofts Total Media Theater Platinum which no only still plays HD DVD. There is a guide available for re-enabling HD DVD playback in PowerDVD 8 that seems pretty simple and clear.

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/P..._DVD_page1.html

"Please Read!!! Post your questions only in This Thread or they will go unanswered:

Help with development of BD RB: Donations at: http://www.jdobbs.com/
afterdawn.com > forums > archived forums > hd dvd discussion > help with playing hd dvd

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork