User User name Password  

Tuesday 11.6.2024 / 23:23
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > linux - general discussion > ubuntu 1.0 suddenly no sound
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Ubuntu 1.0 suddenly No sound
  Jump to:

Posted Message
HazelB
_
15. February 2010 @ 14:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ubuntu 1.0 64 bit (Gateway P-173-FX laptop) external sound just stopped working. It was fine for months. Earphone sound works fine.

Sent a diagnostic to the Linux forum, and just wondered if anyone at Afterdawn has any suggestions.

It is a dual boot with XP, sound working normally there, so it would seem to be software/driver related. HDA Intel at 0xf4600000 irq 22

Help?

Hazel
Advertisement
_
__
scum101
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
15. February 2010 @ 16:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base
dpkg-reconfigure alsa-utils

as root obviously .. that's option 1

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=755668

might be the answer to the problem if you have updated the kernel recently.. or not.. try reconfigure first.

HazelB
_
16. February 2010 @ 23:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thank you for the suggested fix. It didn't work for me, seems that some fixes work for some laptops, some for others, and some not at all.

I spent some time reading all the many forum posts on this problem, and many tries later, after redoing the Linux partition and trashing the MBR and reformatting and starting over many times, I think I will just do with XP for the grandson's school homework and online teacher assignment connectivity.

Then, when the new distro comes online in late April, we'll see if it fares any better for the dual boot.

Hazel
scum101
_
17. February 2010 @ 08:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
what exactly isn't working?.. does any sound work? at all??

I find odd conflicts start if I have the gnome system sounds enabled. What updated just before the breakdown?.. I would make a wild guess it was a kernel update. check in

/var/log/kern.log

there may be clues.

Post me the output of lspci -v and lets have a look at the sound hardware closely. It might be required to build alsa with the needed config instead of attempting to auto detect.

guess you found this on your travels (again a few things ARE NOT explained proplerly and ASSUME people know how to use things like grep)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems

The links contained.. especially the one near the top about known problems with karmic .. are informative.

(I wouldn't use ubuntu if somebody paid me, but it's kinda similar to debian so I will have a guess at what broke)

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 17. February 2010 @ 08:46

Advertisement
_
__

_
scum101
_
18. February 2010 @ 11:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hazel hon.. I was chatting with one of my old time pals on irc last night and he suggested asking these guys over here.. http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/

I had a good look round (long time member, but forgot I was) and they seem like a very helpful bunch.

afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > linux - general discussion > ubuntu 1.0 suddenly no sound

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork