User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 05:07
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > linux - general discussion > unix network discovery issues. limited by tools, lack of data.
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Unix network discovery issues. limited by tools, lack of data.
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Page:12Next >
shermski
_
23. January 2014 @ 13:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Attempting to locate Unix devices on AD domain to obtain POC info for system management. Cannot use AD to query as the Unix devices arent joined objects. Dont know host names in most cases and dont know where in AD they should reside. The only thing I have is system IP to work with.

Tracing doesnt help because the owners of the firewall do not have records of IP space assigned to department.

Any suggestions you may have in finding the people that own these devices would be helpful. Thank you.

-P
Advertisement
_
__
ddp
_
23. January 2014 @ 14:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
why?
shermski
_
23. January 2014 @ 14:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ddp:
why?
they're non compliant in one way or another. audit issue at this point.
ddp
_
23. January 2014 @ 14:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
& who says they are non compliant & who are you?
shermski
_
23. January 2014 @ 15:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
& who says they are non compliant & who are you?
Corporate policy says they aren't. I'm the guy with the steps the admins with access need to take to get off the list.
ddp
_
23. January 2014 @ 15:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
your Corporate policy or this site's Corporate policy?
shermski
_
23. January 2014 @ 15:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
your Corporate policy or this site's Corporate policy?
My employer's corporate policy :)
ddp
_
23. January 2014 @ 15:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
who is your employer?
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
24. January 2014 @ 18:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Nobody we know..lol.. not to mention there's a right way & wrong way of doing business this thread meets neither criteria bring the lightning brother !

ddp
_
24. January 2014 @ 20:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
dela or ketola got a pm about this thread yesterday from me.
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
24. January 2014 @ 21:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
awwww spoilsport :p

AfterDawn Addict
_
24. January 2014 @ 23:33 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
LOL bravo ddp, Nothing is more aggravating than calmness. :)
ddp
_
25. January 2014 @ 11:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
notice that shermski hasn't posted back since?
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
25. January 2014 @ 11:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The Silence is deafening

shermski
_
27. January 2014 @ 12:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by scorpNZ:
The Silence is deafening
I had honestly figured you were only trolling with no insight to offer, so I stopped replying. I had searched for "free tech support forums" to bounce this question around and AfterDawn was the first result that came back.

This is obviously not a general IT support site, so the error is mine and you have my apologies. Please feel free to delete the thread.
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. January 2014 @ 12:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by shermski:
This is obviously not a general IT support site,

Obviously not, I find nothing in the description of this forum that implies IT support.
You may have to open your wallet

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading; The few who learn by observation;
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves...
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
27. January 2014 @ 18:10 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I was under the impression member was attempting to get access for hacking purposes to steal passwords & other details,web search of what a POC was used for is how i came to that conclusion since to get access behind a sites firewall would require permission from an admin of the site not to mention what appeared at first to be vague replies to dpp didn't help much either,tho i still think it's pretty suss i've decided to sit on the fence..at least for now ........no! make that sit under my bridge mwaaaaaa

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 27. January 2014 @ 18:11

ddp
_
27. January 2014 @ 18:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
a bridge won't stop me with my lightning bolts, scorp!!!
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
27. January 2014 @ 18:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
shermski wrote & i quote:

"I had honestly figured you were only trolling with no insight to offer"

..lmao..i'm thinking of getting that put on a sticker for my vehicles rear bumper it's a classic in the making,would go well in my sig too i'm liking member already,besides a troll would collapse a fence :p

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 27. January 2014 @ 18:54

AfterDawn Addict
_
27. January 2014 @ 18:57 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
scorp wrote would go well in my sig too

Sounds like good idea. I like my sig. lol

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading; The few who learn by observation;
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves...
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
27. January 2014 @ 19:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
it's yours if you like my sigs full..lol..

ddp
_
27. January 2014 @ 19:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
his is too as only allowed 2 text lines with a picture as per forum rules.
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. January 2014 @ 19:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
his is too as only allowed 2 text lines with a picture as per forum rules.
I've been Grand fathered it was 3 lines back when I installed it. I know because I was scolded for 4 lines and combined 2 into 1... :P

scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
27. January 2014 @ 19:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
@ 2oldGeek

dpp is quite partial to Belgian chocolate,send him a box to look the other way

Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. January 2014 @ 19:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
We ain't got no Belgian chocolate in Texas. Wonder if he likes Red beans & Cornbread?

Page:12Next >
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > linux - general discussion > unix network discovery issues. limited by tools, lack of data.

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork