User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 05:29
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - virus and spyware problems > hackers are now targeting your router
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Hackers are now targeting your router
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
24. March 2014 @ 16:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
Backdoors have been found in NetGear and Linksys routers , two of the biggest sellers. A host of other brand names including D-Link, Micronet, Tenda and others have also been the subject of mass attacks that let hackers hijack your browser, produce fake search results, and download malware into all the devices connected to your network.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/colu...omando/6496743/

I thought I would post this even though Kim is not all that technically astute.
Advertisement
_
__
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
24. March 2014 @ 20:19 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Better late than never i spose..lol..thats not you mez i mean the article you refer too,must've not had any ideas for an article as this is an add on to an article 11 months ago from the tech world regarding hacked routers; the last new exploit was found last week or the week before.I subscribe to a couple or so emails that deal with this sort of news ,i can remember only 1 at the mo,its pc world power tips,there's another crowd called infopackets that have up to date news as soon as it's found out that can be subscribed too if your interested,there is a downside to keeping an eye on whats happening out there,hacked routers is small time :p

Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
26. March 2014 @ 21:17 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well I hadn't seen an article stating that or a post on this forum. So I thought I would share even if it is old news. It is just one more thing to keep in mind.
AfterDawn Addict
_
26. March 2014 @ 21:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Gee, I can open it OK now, guess someone woke up :)

My router has the latest firmware and a long random character password.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 26. March 2014 @ 21:38

scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
26. March 2014 @ 22:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
There's an exploit this or an exploit that every other week with something if its hardware or software,i've given up on being paranoid about it all; tho the router exploit pissed me off..lol..when i originally saw it in the email & ended up changing the default router name & placed a password in,you have to wonder why each router isn't sent out already passworded with a unique router name as well,i'd hate to think how many are out there with no protection i.e default name & password..lol..

AfterDawn Addict
_
26. March 2014 @ 23:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I'm with you scorp. Back in my early days "Paranoia was just good thinking", not any more. lol
ddp
_
26. March 2014 @ 23:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
2oldGeek, always thought you were paranoid.
AfterDawn Addict
_
26. March 2014 @ 23:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You got me confused wit Mez?
ddp
_
26. March 2014 @ 23:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
nope.
AfterDawn Addict
_
26. March 2014 @ 23:56 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You must have me confused with some other body cuz I feel my paranoia has become a thing of the past.....
ddp
_
26. March 2014 @ 23:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
must be your meds you are on are doing that.
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. March 2014 @ 00:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
the only meds I'm on is German soda pop. :)
ddp
_
27. March 2014 @ 00:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
maybe your wife is spiking them with your proper meds.
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. March 2014 @ 00:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
If my wife had anything to do with it it would be arsenic....
ddp
_
27. March 2014 @ 00:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
& maybe that too in your german soda pop.
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. March 2014 @ 00:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Yeah, a Hefeweissbier with the bite of a vampire....
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. March 2014 @ 00:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
My computer is about to backup and I'm calling it a night.. nite, nite all.
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. March 2014 @ 11:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Well you got me pegged! I am paranoid to the core! Funny thing is I keep finding articles showing me most of my fears are not groundless.
_
27. March 2014 @ 11:50 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Mez:
Well you got me pegged! I am paranoid to the core! Funny thing is I keep finding articles showing me most of my fears are not groundless.
I am paranoid as well (actually on meds for it), but a couple of things you gotta realise you can only control your life & whats in it, & there are always people way more paranoid then you.

bk on topic: tp-link routers have been affected aswell.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
27. March 2014 @ 13:02 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
More info...

http://www.cnet.com/news/top-wi-fi-rout...ack-says-study/

Hacking into modems, routers and firewalls
http://www.scribd.com/doc/44703058/CEHv...s-and-Firewalls

http://www.index-of-files.org/file-pdf/...s-and-firewalls

As far as local attacks, do not laugh this off like I did before I wised up. I was in a running war with a hacker who kept hacking into my wireless network for years. I live in a moderately dense neighborhood 1 - .6 acre plots. I know all the households within a few hundred yards. At that time there was no house with a tech savvy adult and the children were mostly middle school or younger. I believe the hacker lived in a mansion about a half mile away. I live on Rockcreek park and the part I back up to is only about 300 yrds thick and the mansions are about 500 yards away from mine. Back then AD had more of a hacker presence. I got good information from them. I got a link to plans for a directional wireless antenna with an amplifier. The only item that was the least bit expensive was the crystal for under $20. The antenna was made from a tomato can. Optimum dimensions were provided. The can was wrapper with fine wire and used a power supply used for charging electronics. The more powerful the power supply the better the signal boost. They were supposed to be good from 100 yrds to about a mile depending on the number of wire wraps and the power used. Then I checked ebay for the crystal frequency. You could buy professionally build devices for a few hundred bucks that were advertised for up to 10 miles. These things were huge, more like old satellite dishes. They appeared to be something for a legitimate business.
Advertisement
_
__

_
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
4. April 2014 @ 16:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Some more rescent good news!

The takeaway is that it's no longer realistic to think that routers, DVRs, or other Internet-connected home appliances aren't worth an attacker's time. The ability of malware to infect a growing number of platforms, combined with the increasing difficulty of compromising more traditional targets, makes poorly designed "Internet of Things" devices the 2014 equivalent of Windows XP, particularly during the early years when the Microsoft OS was particularly easy to hack.

DVRs are now being infected by botnets!
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/04...ows-xp-of-2014/

wireless routers set up remotely easy targets
http://www.scmagazineuk.com/new-malware...article/341129/

Not so stealthy attacks
http://www.infoworld.com/d/security/7-s...0,4&source=fssr

Oh one reason I am so paranoid is some of the bad experiances I have had. One that come to mind is a hacker taking over my computer network. This process took over a year. My original router security was light. At the end I has the most secure wireless set up with the maximum name and password. At that time there still were hacker AD members. He or she told me wireless is easy to break into. I thought the person was foolish until that max name and password was broked in less than 24 hrs. Everytime the hacker broke in the router security was changed so I was locked out. If I reset the router it was locked by the time I could get to it. I realized the capture was automated because I tried during all hours of the day. The hacker member said go wired or put up chicken wire and tin foil screens around your antenna to block the access. That didn't work very well but the wired system has kept him out ever since. I have had several quite afew internat of IP address attacks over the years. I have software that alerts me when something trys to update my browser. When I see that I know my outer defenses have grown out dated.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. April 2014 @ 16:33

afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - virus and spyware problems > hackers are now targeting your router

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork