User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 10:04
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - games > all games freeze on pc, please help
Show topics

Forums
Forums
All games freeze on PC, Please Help
  Jump to:

Posted Message
ronzl
Account closed as per user's own request
_
6. August 2012 @ 14:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I recently reinstalled Windows 7 Proffecional 64bit on my computer. I was having several problems prior to doing so including explorer.exe crashing on startup, very slow start up, and my recovery drive was repeatedly reformatted to a RAW partition. All these problems got resolved with a reinstall but were replaced by a new problem.

The reinstall I used left my personal files and programs intact. Now whenever I run a game, any game I run into the same problem. What happens is the game starts up fine with no problems, but when I perform certain actions (e.g. Battlefield 3 ? if I fire my weapon it will trigger a freeze, Arkham City ? throwing a punch or using a gadget will trigger a freeze etc) the game will freeze up but the sound will continue playing. I can use Ctrl, Alt,Delete to start up the task manager and end the process. This closes the game but the process hangs as it is and cannot be stopped, even though the computer carries on functioning fine. I can even start a different game but the difference is the game won?t crash or freeze anymore. It seems as through if one game crashes it somehow stops it happening again to other games.

On a side note I do not get any errors if I disable Windows Audio Service in MSConfig for start-up services.
The fixes I have tried include:
Running in safemode ?for Windows 7 and for individual games
Running the games in DX9, DX10, DX10.1 and DX11
Running with CPU overclocked and without overclocking
Running with GPU overclocked and without overclocking
I have tried increasing Virtual Memory (currently at 50GB)
I have tried a few specific fixes for individual games
I have also tried with Crossfire enabled and disabled
Updating all drivers, Updating the BIOS and Installing Win 7 updates

I tried all these fixes to no avail, the only thing that resolved the issue was disabling the Windows Audio Service, however this leaves me with no sound at all. I have no idea what do try next or what could be causing the problem and I need help. At this point I am willing to try just about anything.

My specs are :
i5-2500K at 4.5GHz
Asus P8P67 Pro Motherboard B3
XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870 Black Edition
MSI R6870
12GB ram
800W PSU
Advertisement
_
__
ddp
_
6. August 2012 @ 16:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
do a fresh install of windows & programs after you saved your data like documents. delete the partition, make a new partition & format the drive.
ronzl
_
6. August 2012 @ 17:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ddp:
do a fresh install of windows & programs after you saved your data like documents. delete the partition, make a new partition & format the drive.
Is there nothing else I can try? It seems like it may not be a problem all that difficult to fix. As I said there is nothing else wrong on my PC.
ronzl
_
7. August 2012 @ 07:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I did another reinstall and it didn?t help. I bought a win 7 update disk so I can?t to a fresh install. Is there any way I could log the actions the game takes to determine what it does when it freeze like the event log?
mrslicker
_
15. September 2012 @ 10:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
ROnzl, i see you have a 4.5GHz clock speed. Have you tested for stability? maybe to save your OC settings and kick it to stock for a while till you have the kinks worked out with your system.
AfterDawn Addict
_
15. September 2012 @ 11:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by mrslicker:
ROnzl, i see you have a 4.5GHz clock speed. Have you tested for stability? maybe to save your OC settings and kick it to stock for a while till you have the kinks worked out with your system.
Quote:
Running with CPU overclocked and without overclocking

mrslicker
_
1. October 2012 @ 05:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I didn't read the post all the way. Thx for the correction.

Regarding the Problem - Perhaps you could try installing updated audio drivers or changing devices temporarily?
Also, I think you should set the Virtual Memory back to stock settings. Some people set it as (for example 4096-4096) a fixed amount to reduce fragmentation

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 1. October 2012 @ 05:15

dheera
Suspended due to non-functional email address
_
10. October 2012 @ 06:15 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It is time to upgrade your Pc.
ddp
_
10. October 2012 @ 15:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
dheera, do you know what you are talking about as appears you don't or you don't read posts?
_
10. October 2012 @ 18:27 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
yeah,ill upgrade to that pc in a hearbeat.
Advertisement
_
__

_
_
11. October 2012 @ 03:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
if you let the game continue and get a proper crash you might get a memory dump that will give you more of a hint as to whats causing it.

based on what you have typed i'd say windows audio service is causing some sort of conflict and thats what you should be looking at.

as for your specs they are alot better than mine.games should run easily on that.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - games > all games freeze on pc, please help

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork