User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 13:52
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > general discussion > safety valve > ah, the good old days.
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Ah, the good old days.
  Jump to:

Posted Message
AfterDawn Addict
_
31. May 2013 @ 13:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
UK, circa 1952, candy purchases no longer requires a ration book.

Advertisement
_
__
ddp
_
31. May 2013 @ 15:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
all because of ww2.
AfterDawn Addict
_
31. May 2013 @ 17:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Ah, the good old days.

_
31. May 2013 @ 22:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Used to get 25 cents a week for my allowance in the good old days.before you younguns laugh,it purchased a bottle of pop,a chocolate bar,and a wagon wheel.there was still penny candy,hell,even 3 for a penny.well ive waxed nostalgic enough.cheers.
ddp
_
31. May 2013 @ 22:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i remember 6 cent ice cream cones. used to buy airfix model warships for $2, same ones cost me $20 off ebay.
_
1. June 2013 @ 05:31 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
when i was a kid we use to get 1cent lollies (20cents would get up a full bag of them).Local deli had $1 bottles of 1 litre softdrink.$1 hotdogs at local petrol station.$6 for a pack of 20 smokes (as a teenager).

I still buy bags of lollies sometimes but price has gone up alot.same petrol station is now charging about $3 per hotdog,glass 1 litre bottles for softdrink are rare now its $3.50 for a 330ml coke in a glass bottle.smoke prices are like $10 for cheapest pack on special.

btw i'm probably not as old as you guys i was born in 1984 but yeah what we pay now for small things has gone crazy high.Electrical goods have gone a lot higher tech and very common.
couldn't imagine 3 people sitting on the lounge with youtube on a hd tv while all playing games on an ipad back in the 90s.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
AfterDawn Addict
_
1. June 2013 @ 14:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I am not going to tell you how old I am,
You will have to guess, I can remember when gas was 19 cents a gal
And you can buy hamburgers . 2 for 25 cents. And at the penny candy counter

a shiny penny would bring happiness to a youngster and make him feel rich. A penny could buy bubble gum, licorice candy, jaw breakers, peppermint sticks, grab bags, a small bag of pop corn or salty peanuts, a candy bar or a lollipop, frozen cubes of orange flavored ice called Dainties or a cup filled to the rim with lemon flavored shaved ice. peanut butter taffy and many other marvelous tasting morsels.
_
1. June 2013 @ 16:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ireland:
I am not going to tell you how old I am,
You will have to guess, I can remember when gas was 19 cents a gal
And you can buy hamburgers . 2 for 25 cents. And at the penny candy counter

a shiny penny would bring happiness to a youngster and make him feel rich. A penny could buy bubble gum, licorice candy, jaw breakers, peppermint sticks, grab bags, a small bag of pop corn or salty peanuts, a candy bar or a lollipop, frozen cubes of orange flavored ice called Dainties or a cup filled to the rim with lemon flavored shaved ice. peanut butter taffy and many other marvelous tasting morsels.

you know that says it all about your age,dont you.lol.i guess one thing we havent mentioned is the take home pay for a working man in "the good old days".in the 60s my dad worked in the logging industry and was gone from 5am till 7pm most days.the most he ever made in a day was 100.00 cdn.that was gross,not take home and that was top wages for a good faller.most times he made 50-60 a day.for most things,i would have to say,prices have been pretty commensurate with wages with some exceptions.cheers.
AfterDawn Addict
_
1. June 2013 @ 17:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Lets talk about housing in the 50?s?
My mother and father bought a 3 bedroom ranch for $10500 in 1950.
_
1. June 2013 @ 19:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
we had 5 acres,2 barns and the house and shortly after the 2nd ww my dad paid about 6000 cdn.god i remember that old house.you could tell which way the wind was blowing without ever going outside.lol.
ddp
_
1. June 2013 @ 20:44 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
air leaks?
_
1. June 2013 @ 21:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
i swear you could see daylight thru the walls.lol.when the temps fell in the winter all us kids would sleep in the living room where the woodstove was.seems kinda harsh by todays standards,but i wouldnt change it for anything.
ps355528
_
26. September 2013 @ 12:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
$6 for 20 smokes?.. hell kid.. first smokes I bought with my own money were £0.39p for 20..

ARR! Them pesky Navy! Get out of my sea!
irc://irc.villageirc.net/afterdawn http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/
_
26. September 2013 @ 18:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I remember going into a corner store with a $1 bill, and walking out with a big bag of candy. Loose candy was anywhere from 1-10 cents each. I remember being upset when a can of coke went from 25 to 35 cents. Used to sit out back all day with my portable record player that ran on batteries listening to records all day.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 26. September 2013 @ 22:54

Advertisement
_
__

_
AfterDawn Addict
_
26. September 2013 @ 20:13 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ps355528:
$6 for 20 smokes?.. hell kid.. first smokes I bought with my own money were £0.39p for 20..
Decimal money - foreign rubbish!
Get yourself to the Co-Op teenybopper: one and six for twenty Cogent - and none of yer filter tips either.
Who the hell needs lungs anyway.

afterdawn.com > forums > general discussion > safety valve > ah, the good old days.

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork