User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 02:43
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - p2p software > is peeruardian2 a vpn?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Is Peeruardian2 a VPN?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
ronin4
_
16. June 2012 @ 13:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi not sure if this is the right place to post this, Im not too technically minded and was once advised, years ago, to install PeerGuardian2 because I visited The Pirate Bay. I have seen in recent forums the new policy of my Broadband provider BT and wanted to know if PG2 is the same as a VPN? If not is a VPN better and could someone recommend one to replace PG2 with.
Thanks in advance
Rod :)
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
17. June 2012 @ 06:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
PG2 isn't the same thing as a VPN, no. I have no personal recommendations but this list by TorrentFreak might be of use to you:

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-provi...riously-111007/

They are a pretty reputable source.

ronin4
_
17. June 2012 @ 06:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Ripper:
PG2 isn't the same thing as a VPN, no. I have no personal recommendations but this list by TorrentFreak might be of use to you:

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-provi...riously-111007/

They are a pretty reputable source.
ty :)
Mez
AfterDawn Addict
_
25. July 2012 @ 19:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
1) PeerGuardian2 has not been updated in years. They came out with another product which is updated. If you must use something like that use the one that is not completely worthless. PeerGuardian2 is just a lure to get fools lulled into thinking they are safe.

2) All that does is prevent data harvesters from reading your stats. They are public. Since the only 2 they are interested in is total down loads and total up loads if they get through once in a month they win you lose. You will probably be compromised within 24 hrs of downloading since they add new monitors daily. You shields are only updated when you load them.

3) Since PeerGuardian2 provides minimal protection I would go with a VPN. I am not even sure they can guarantee your safety. Use something you pay to download and do not upload. They are FAR more safe. The industry pays hackers to to figure out how to screw you over. They put 'things' in files. The sites inject maleware into your computer to track what you are doing. Using torrents right now is pretty much eating candy you find lying on the side of the road. Even though it is wrapped doesn't mean it is safe.
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
25. July 2012 @ 20:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Enable encryption as preferred download on p2p program while still keeping un-encrypted in case encryption isn't being used by the uploader/s,mez covered the rest.

Advertisement
_
__

_
Alex04
_
26. September 2012 @ 13:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I use encrypted SSH tunnel together with different proxies from other countries - this is how PirateRay works, it is easier to install than VPN, and compatible with any torrent client and browser to hide ip and be anonymous in the net. ISP cannot see what you are downloading, just because the traffic becomes unreadable for them.
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - p2p software > is peeruardian2 a vpn?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork