User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 20:35
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - p2p software > what do people on your network see when you torrent?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
What Do People On Your Network See When You Torrent?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Jlee14
_
29. October 2012 @ 12:03 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey Guys,
Just curious what people see when you are torrenting on a large network. I.e. I currently live on a college campus. Personally I use Utorrent, and have a proxy configured. So if I were to download a large file, with encryption enabled, and the proxy set, what would IT see? I know it is difficult for the actual ISP to moniter anything but Im curious as to what people on your own network see.

Humbly Yours,
Justin
ps355528
_
8. November 2012 @ 18:05 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
What would network admin see?.. well it depends how busy they are, how nosey they want to be, and what rules the etwork owners have set.. but for general noseyness... a stack of packets, with your ip in the header, encrypted, going both ways.. which would let them know that it was torrent/p2p traffic of some kind. Chances are a university/college network admin would play some games with you by blocking traffic on whatever port you care to use specific to your internal network ip (linux router firewalls can be very very fine grained indeed) and if it was me I would shove a packet sniffer on you and see what trackers you are browsing and which torrent files/magnet links you are accessing to find out what files you are looking for.

Basically.. a network admin in control of the network hardware can see everything in and out no matter what you try to do to hide it.. Whether they bother to crack your encryption depends if they have the time/inclination/knowledge to do that. It's not necessary to crack encryption to work out what is p2p traffic from normal web browsing/ftp or whatever.

ARR! Them pesky Navy! Get out of my sea!
irc://irc.villageirc.net/afterdawn http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/
afterdawn.com > forums > software, operating systems and more > windows - p2p software > what do people on your network see when you torrent?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork