User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 03:41
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > can't shut down my computer
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Can't shut down my computer
  Jump to:

Posted Message
The_Count
_
22. December 2013 @ 12:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
So I did my first computer build, and when I first started it up with short circuit with a screwdriver, I can't shut it down now. I have no monitor plugged in so I can't shut it down via bios, and no power switch installed. I've tried to touch the power pins again with the screwdriver, but it just reboots the system. If I hold on to the pins with the screwdriver, it stays shut'd down for a while, but then reboots again. So what can I do? Can I switch off the main power from the PSU while I'm holding the screwdriver on the pins(while it's shutdown)? Or am I surely damaging something if I plug the monitor in while the computer is on? To the motherboard output or the graphics card output?

((((to avoid opening any new threads, I used this old one. here's the old post))))

Sorry for opening a new thread here, but the old one(for the components choosing) wouldn't probably have any new views, and therefore no replys on this problem.
So I started to build my first computer link from these parts, and when I had got everything together and first time tried to start up, nothing happened. Then I removed the front panel controls from the motherboard and tried to boot it with screwdriver short between the pwr-pins, and it just gave a few spins for the graphics card fans. On another forum one user suggested that I have my motherboard power connections wrong, but there's only one way to plug them in, so I can't see any other way for those. The motherboard beep-speaker doesn't make any sound either when I try to power it. Could the motherboard be damaged or malfunctional, or am I doing something wrong here? The PSU is set up the right way too.

EDIT: oh, and there's a 10-pin connector coming from the front panel that says "AC'97", but there's no any connectors anywhere it would fit

EDIT 2: Got it working. Re-plugged the PSU main connectors on the motherboard, and it was fine. Admins can remove this thread if they see it fit. Or leave this as a warning example to remaind us all to plug things in properly.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 22. December 2013 @ 15:58

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > can't shut down my computer

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork