User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 10:30
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > the official pc building thread - 4th edition
Show topics

Forums
Forums
The Official PC building thread - 4th Edition
  Jump to:

In case you want to ask something like "What components should I pick for my new PC?", start a new topic to our PC building forum.
Posted Message
ddp
_
27. May 2014 @ 16:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
we have lots of ponds in canada, eh.
Advertisement
_
__
_
3. June 2014 @ 06:00 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Question to all---repaired a toshiba satellite laptop, reinstalled the original vista OS since client didnt want to replace hard drive and OS...everything works as it should except wireless drops. its a b/g Realtek NIC that doesnt work unless i go into properties and change it from b/g to b only. I tried changing my access point to send g only it didnt work, to send g on different channels and didnt work. tried using drivers from toshiba support and also went straight to realtek and no change, aside from the amount of options in the properties tab. anything im missing?
_
3. June 2014 @ 06:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It sounds like a driver issue so what you've been doing sounds like the right path to take. I use to have Toshiba drivers for that WLAN but I can't find them right now. Make sure to totally remove the old diver before installing a new driver this will do two things, it will prevent Vista from trying to use the bad driver instead of using the new driver since it may think the old driver is better, and it will remove any Property Settings that you had changed before that could be the issue with your NIC's operation.
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
3. June 2014 @ 07:39 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You say repaired - if you had it apart, did you verify the antenna connectors were securely attached when you put the casing back on? I find they can be a real pain and keep popping off unless attached 'properly', which depending on the layout of the laptop, can be quite a fiddly job.

Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13
ddp
_
3. June 2014 @ 12:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Deadrum33, where did you get the drivers from?
AfterDawn Addict

7 product reviews
_
3. June 2014 @ 12:49 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by ddp:
Deadrum33, where did you get the drivers from?
Indeed. I have a toshiba laptop. It was quite difficult to find the right drivers. Fact is, Toshiba's site was wrong, Ralink was wrong. I ended up getting them from a third party site! Boom! Done!

To delete, or not to delete. THAT is the question!

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 4. June 2014 @ 01:17

AfterDawn Addict

15 product reviews
_
3. June 2014 @ 13:18 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Toshiba laptops are a nightmare to find drivers for. I also mirror Sam's thinking. Did you possibly have it apart and pop out the antenna connections?

Also, if it's a mini PCI-E half slot, they can be replaced for cheap.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Intel-...CFdSMMgodFiAAFg

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 4GHz(20 x 200) 1.5v 3000NB 2000HT, Corsair Hydro H110 w/ 4 x 140mm 1500RPM fans Push/Pull, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5, 8GB(2 x 4GB) G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 @ 1600MHz CL9 1.55v, Gigabyte GTX760 OC 4GB(1170/1700), Corsair 750HX
Detailed PC Specs: http://my.afterdawn.com/estuansis/blog_entry.cfm/11388
Advertisement
_
__

_
_
3. June 2014 @ 20:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
That is true I've used 3rd party drivers for Toshiba's too. The drivers they post when the laptop first comes out are normally good but as time goes on and they update things all goes awry. I've even used drivers for other laptops on Toshiba's site that work when the ones they have posted for a specific model don't work.

afterdawn.com > forums > pc hardware > building a new pc > the official pc building thread - 4th edition

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork