User User name Password  

Monday 13.5.2024 / 17:04
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > media players > help need for copying to media player.
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Help need for copying to media player.
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Kevin-2011
_
18. January 2014 @ 17:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi im needing somehelp,

Ive been looking at putting my dvds/blu rays on to a media player or something similar but dont know where to start. Im a complete newbie to this sort of thing and would apprecitate any info/help that you guys can give. thanks.
Advertisement
_
__
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
18. January 2014 @ 18:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
They need to be ripped first
anydvd -trial
clonedvd-trial
dvdfab -free to rip always the rest is trial
dvdshrink-very old best used to edit titles by removing un-needed lang & subs & removing intro & outro clips from titles,reducing size of vid = better quality when converting depending on other variables
.....................................................................................
next you need to becareful to what format you choose to convert to & it's compression,you say a media player,converting to a smart phone or some other weak player which requires large amounts of compression will mean quality is severely reduced if you decide to watch them from a computer on a large screen will look like crap so will the dvd will require reconverting to higher bitrate doubling up on the same movie
........................................................................................
next up is the conversion software to some sort of container lets take a mp4,regardless of what format container you use in the end it's almost like a folder that houses the video content nothing more,the only issue you have will be compatibility across devices
........................................................................................
free converters there's many others in software section & at videohelp .com

staxrip -to convert to avi

handbrake to convert to mp4 or mkv-also can convert to other formats by using the presets which then can be fine tuned manually to suit-supports batching

vidcoder - same as handbrake main difference if any is manually setting desired file output size-supports batching
....................................................................................
paid software

dvdfab-i don't use fab to convert i prefer programs that give me control over all settings & free ones

clonedvd mobile -bought it never used it..lol..

as for anything more you'll need to research yourself so:
1-get a ripper
2-think carefully about what devices you want to play the vids on
3-pik a movie edit it with fab,clonedvd or dvdshrink
4-use shrink & cut a segment out of the movie say 300mb ? convert it to get an idea of what it will look like quality wise on devices you plan to play them on
5-read tuts in guides section here at AD & at video help most importantly don't spend money if a free software is available

visit brrip.eu it may save you time hehehe

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 18. January 2014 @ 18:51

Kevin-2011
_
20. January 2014 @ 14:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks very much for all the help.
One last question but a friend of a friend said he would help me get started but he is trying to get me to part with some serious money for a state of the art pc that he says that i need.. is he telling fibs? thanks so much again..
_
20. January 2014 @ 17:26 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Kevin-2011:
Thanks very much for all the help.
One last question but a friend of a friend said he would help me get started but he is trying to get me to part with some serious money for a state of the art pc that he says that i need.. is he telling fibs? thanks so much again..
a state of the art pc would speed up stuff like video encoding,video conversion and things, my pc was built early 2010 as a gaming pc and would be able to do it wouldn't be as quick as a new one but would work.
Your friend probably thinks a new pc would be better & quicker and hes right, but its not really needed.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.
Advertisement
_
__

_
scorpNZ
AfterDawn Addict

4 product reviews
_
21. January 2014 @ 02:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
xboxdvl2 has said exactly what i think in regards to a slightly older pc that's more than capable however you haven't provided details of your specs for the pc you have & more importantly what your intended use is,lastly an ex lease quad with 8gb ram & 1tb hdd,1gb hd graphic card,hd audio & usb ports will set you back under $600-$1000nz depending on how late the comp is,that's where i'd start then look at upgrading from there but for vid coding only a new pc would be a waste of money imo unless you were going to watch stacks of movies & perhaps play some games

afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > media players > help need for copying to media player.

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork