User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 12:23
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > media players > recommendations on equipment for home media system
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Recommendations on equipment for home media system
  Jump to:

Posted Message
dgrooman
_
18. September 2012 @ 12:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have been converting all of our movies into DivX avi's and saving them onto a 2TB external hard drive. What I would like to be able to do is have that hard drive connected to a "media hub" of some sort so that all of the TVs in the house can connect wirelessly to it and stream the content. Since currently all of the TVs are "dumb", I will need the equipment to enable them to connect to a network, and I would also like to be able to access the commercial streaming networks as well (Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, etc). Any suggestions/recommendations on hardware and just general guidance will be greatly appreciated. Right now we do not have a home network established, other than just a standard wifi router for the Frontier DSL.

I saw the Iomega ScreenPlay 35045 Network Audio/Video Player on sale today and was wondering if that would fit into the picture somehow...?

Thanks

Groom David SRA WVANG
Advertisement
_
__
mrslicker
_
25. September 2012 @ 17:01 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
might be hard to connect all televisions in-house to a network. Expensive at least. Look into the Western Digitial Live TV, Roku player, D-link boxee box. these are the most popular non-apple products i can think of that probably support streaming internet content.
AfterDawn Addict

1 product review
_
28. September 2012 @ 02:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Like mentioned above, look for a WDTV box, or a BoxeeBox. Roku would need tinkering with a third party app like Plex in order to play local content. I have a BoxeeBox, and I am really happy with it.

I also recently purchased an Android box, a G-Box Midnight (http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight-TV-Box-Internet/dp/B009BWC3J4). It runs XBMC, which is pretty much the king of home theater media players. haven't had a chance to use it yet, still in USPS transit for another day!:)

Piss me off, and I Will ignore You!
smoggie66
_
1. October 2012 @ 11:43 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
get an extreamer sidewinder 3 its awsome and plays 3d iso the lot, and plays hd dts audio and has a movie jukebox which uploads the lables for you and if you can afford it get a nas but will work well off pc
Advertisement
_
__

_
AdamJack
_
7. March 2013 @ 01:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for the great post.Let's build our own home media network for enjoying music and movie
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > media players > recommendations on equipment for home media system

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork