User User name Password  

Sunday 9.6.2024 / 03:42
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > media players > wait for usb 3.0 or go w/ wd hd tv live.
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Wait for USB 3.0 or go w/ WD HD TV Live.
  Jump to:

Posted Message

28 product reviews
_
19. April 2010 @ 19:40 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Should I wait for companies to release USB 3.0 media players + USB 3.0 portable HDD, or do you think USB 2.0 on the WD HD TV Live is good enough?

I want something that will play uncompressed 1080p (blu-ray) audio/video flawlessly without hickups, maybe it's best to wait for USB 3.0 for this?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.

MilesAhed
_
2. May 2010 @ 13:28 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I have WD HDTV for USB Gen1 player. Not the Live. I'm hoping they come out with USB 3.0 support soon. Right now I have USB 3.0 docks on my PC and a USB 2.0 dock hooked to the player. It's easier than using an external USB drive since I can just plug in a bare Sata drive rather than unplugging the external USB and power.

I do think the limited USB 2.0 throughput does hurt playback. I can play very large, as in over 30 GB .m2ts files, but if I FF or jump ahead 10 minutes the audio and/or subtitles are likely to go out of sync. And trying to FF at something like 16x you are asking to hang the unit. You have to cycle the power to get going again. I don't know whether to advise you to wait since I have no idea how long USB 3.0 will be in coming for WD players.

It's a coin flip. If you can find a bargain on a WD player then I'd probably go for it. It can play HD divx/avi files, mkv,m2ts etc. Not the greatest subtitle support. To know for sure it's going to work you really need to supply an external .srt file with the same base name as the movie. But all in all I like the player.
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > media players > wait for usb 3.0 or go w/ wd hd tv live.

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork