Show topics

Forums
Forums
Playing MKV files with DTS
  Jump to:

Posted Message
thePhantom
_
17. June 2012 @ 14:46 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi all,

I have a new LG TV and it natively doesn't support DTS, so video plays, but no audio ...

I wanted to know the best way to get around this with hardware (as re-encoding is taking a long time).

Will this LG Blu Ray player work? It claims to have USB playback of MKV as well as DTS?
http://www.lg.com/uk/blu-ray-dvd-player...-specifications

Wil this Xenta media player work? This plays back via USB and has "DTS Passthrough"
http://www.ebuyer.com/284514-full-hd-1080p-media-player-a8-f10

Obviously a lot of people on here have TVs where playing back DTS is a problem, but just wanted to know what hardware most people opt for to get around this? By the way, I don't have an A/V receiver or surround sound, just playback via in built stereo speakers at the moment :(

Thanks for your help

28 product reviews
_
14. July 2012 @ 19:53 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Nowadays, I would go with a blu-ray player instead of a media player. Most new blu-ray players already support mkv/dts through usb playback (a format Blu-ray owners have been requesting for years). The LG you listed is good for a cheap bd player, although some users have complained about poor dvd-upscale and mediocre "smart" (apps) feature, otherwise it should be a good player.

Blu-ray playback quality is usually the same nowadays with most Blu-ray players, and they've come down in price a lot.

Personally, I like Sony's BD players. DVD up-scaling is really good, and will play almost anything from USB (except flv, iso - which no bd-player to date plays these yet, but simply converting the iso to dvd files or mp4,mkv will work.)

If you don't mind spending a little extra, take a look at the Sony BDP-S580.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SONY-BDPS580-WI...42308930&sr=8-1

It should come down in price, since Sony stop selling their older BD players on their site every time they release a newer model. Panasonic would be another good choice.

Or if not, the LG should be highly capable of playing full 1080p movies from USB.

The step-up model LG BD670 is better than the BD660, but it?s almost the same price as the Sony BDP-S580, which is a better Blu-ray player. For Blu-ray and USB play back, you really can?t go wrong with either of the 3 players listed above.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 15. July 2012 @ 17:41

afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > 3d tv > playing mkv files with dts

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork