User User name Password  

Wednesday 15.5.2024 / 20:47
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > 3d tv > playing mkv or other formats on sony bravia
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Playing MKV or other formats on Sony Bravia
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Barraka
_
4. February 2013 @ 03:06 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi,

Not sure where to post this, so here's my first try.

I own a Sony Bravia, model: 46EX720.
A lot of mkv files (and other formats) won't play.

My workaround up till now was to play it on my laptop & connect it via HDMI. Works fine.

Now, I sometimes want to work on my laptop while watching the movie. When wanting to watch a MKV file from a USB drive, the TV displays a "format not supported" message. So, I'm thinking the best solution is to buy a blu-ray player, and stick the USB drive into that.

What are your suggestions of good blu-ray players that will be able to do that, and be versatile in terms of formats.

Thanks,
Advertisement
_
__
rulisky
_
11. February 2013 @ 09:12 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Go to http://www.videohelp.com/ and research their lists of players that support mkv files.

28 product reviews
_
2. April 2013 @ 21:21 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Panasonic has excellent Blu-ray playback, but with playing formats off USB, get a Sony. Blu-ray playback is also great, but it will play almost every file off of USB (except FLV,ISO).

What's your budget? If you have $120 to spend, get this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Smar...1&skuId=7830129

The step down model is around $89 I think, but it's well worth the extra $30 for the "midrange" model. Plus $120 is pretty cheap for a Blu-ray player, especially considering the performance it gives.

If you want 3D check out this Panasonic, it's on sale too:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-...57#tab=overview

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 2. April 2013 @ 21:32

Barraka
_
2. April 2013 @ 22:45 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by mike.m:
Panasonic has excellent Blu-ray playback, but with playing formats off USB, get a Sony. Blu-ray playback is also great, but it will play almost every file off of USB (except FLV,ISO).

What's your budget? If you have $120 to spend, get this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Smar...1&skuId=7830129

The step down model is around $89 I think, but it's well worth the extra $30 for the "midrange" model. Plus $120 is pretty cheap for a Blu-ray player, especially considering the performance it gives.

Hi and thanks for your reply.

The model you show is exactly in my budget, but just to be clear (I want to be 100% sure), the USB drive's video files that didn't play on my Sony TV, will play correctly on that Sony Bluray Player? Initially I had thought that because it was the same make, I would have identical problems.

Thanks again,
Advertisement
_
__

_

28 product reviews
_
8. April 2013 @ 23:30 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Usually TV's will support a lot fewer formats than an actual media player of the same brand, even if they are released on the same date.

This player will play; mkv, avi, mp4, wmv, mpg(or VOB), mov, and AVCHD v2.

I have a WD 1TB USB 3.0 Passport SE, formatted to NTFS, and it works great on my Sony BD player, which is even an older model.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 8. April 2013 @ 23:32

afterdawn.com > forums > home theater > 3d tv > playing mkv or other formats on sony bravia

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork