User User name Password  

Wednesday 29.5.2024 / 01:50
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert video to another format > audio quality loss during video conversion
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Audio Quality Loss During Video Conversion
  Jump to:

Posted Message
shinta8
_
17. February 2013 @ 01:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hey, I'm relatively new to audio/video conversions and want to convert or rip music videos

I'm stingy when it comes to loss of audio quality though.

I've read that converting one lossy audio format(e.g mp3) to another lossy format(e.g acc) will result in loss of audio quality, since they discard bits during the conversion.

My question is what happens if i convert a music video with mp3 audio, to another video format (might be the same format, with some adjustments, or an entirely different video format) with the mp3 audio and same audio kbps as original (and all the audio settings the same as original)

Would the video converter do something like this?
Decode audio>uncompress it > encode audio(i think this is where more bits gets lost) > compress it

Or that just applies from converting 1 audio format/codec to another different one?

Would it just take the audio untouched and stick it with the new video, so no audio quality is lost?
AfterDawn Addict
_
17. February 2013 @ 19:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Quote:
My question is what happens if i convert a music video with mp3 audio, to another video format
'Different format' might simply imply changing the container - perhaps AVI to MKV, then there's probably no conversion or re-encoding involved as MKV can accommodate various types of video and audio.

If you convert mp3 to AC3, it's a change of codec, therefor re-encoding and loss.

Editing a video for content, the audio doesn't need to be re-encoded;the cut point for the audio isn't necessarily aligned with the video cut point - although the video portion may require re-encoding depending on whether the cut was on a key frame or not.

My opinion, FWIW, bearing in mind that I have a tin ear, is that mp3 is so compressed that only the most blatant misprocessing could affect the quality.
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert video to another format > audio quality loss during video conversion

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork