User User name Password  

Wednesday 29.5.2024 / 02:23
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert video to another format > best tool to convert .mov file for eg. sony vegas?
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Best tool to convert .MOV file for eg. Sony Vegas?
  Jump to:

Posted Message
gganault
_
20. April 2012 @ 05:08 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hello

A friend lent me her JVC camcorder, but it records videos in .MOV, which appears to be QuickTime (MPEG-1/2 Video (MPEG), 720x576, 25 fps + A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52), Stereo, 48KHz).

I need to edit this file to combine the video with a WAV file I recorded separately, but using AviDemux isn't very easy for this, VirtualDub can only open AVI files, and Sony Vegas complains that it can't open this file at all (codec issue).

Is there a good, free/affordable application for XP, that will convert this MOV file into something that I can open with eg. Vegas?

Thank you.
Advertisement
_
__
AfterDawn Addict
_
20. April 2012 @ 19:54 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Have you tried the QT plugin for VirtualDub?
Create a new folder named Plugins32 and put 'QuickTime.vdplugin' in it, then try loading or dragging in the .mov file.

http://home.comcast.net/~fcchandler/Plugins/QuickTime/index.html
gganault
_
21. April 2012 @ 19:24 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks, but still no go:

Quote:
Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'MPEG' (unknown)

VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable.
AfterDawn Addict
_
21. April 2012 @ 20:09 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Is AviSynth installed?
gganault
_
22. April 2012 @ 07:25 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
No, I didn't know I had to install another application. So I ran the AviSynth v2.5.8 installer.

But when opening the MOV file in VD:

Quote:
VirtualDub Error: MPEG Import Filter: invalid pack at position 3: marker bit not set; possibly MPEG-2 stream
FWIW, I use the portable release of VirtualDub instead of the one that installs through an installer. I do this as much as possible to keep the crust in Windows to a minimum. Should I install VD through an installer?

Thank you.
AfterDawn Addict
_
22. April 2012 @ 08:20 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
No, you don't have to have AviSynth installed or Install VirtualDub.

Since you have installed Avisynth, create a simple script in NotePad, similar to this one.
Note that whatever your path is to the.mov file, it's in quotes.

Directshowsource("C:\Users\Superuser\Desktop\Canon.mov")

Save the script with the .avs extension instead of .txt, thus canon.avs
Drag the script into VirtualDub and see it it opens it.

If that fails, rename the actual video file to 'Canon.mov.qt'
Then change the script to:

Directshowsource("C:\Users\Superuser\Desktop\Canon.mov.qt")

If that fails, did you say that AviDemux could load the .mov file OK? - if it does, you should be able to replace the audio.
gganault
_
22. April 2012 @ 08:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks for the help.

The two tests end (dragging and dropping the AVS script referencing either the .MOV or the MOV.QT file) with the same error in VD: It shows the hoursand for a couple of minutes, and ends with:
Quote:
Avisynth open failure: DirectShowSource: Could not open as video or audio.

Video returned: "DirectShowSource: RenderFile, the filter graph manager won't talk to me"
Audio returned: "DirectShowSource: couldn't open file C:\myfile.mov:
No combination of filters could be found to render the stream.""
I tried opening the MOV file in Sony Vegas, but it fails (can't find the right codec, even with QuickTime installed).

Is there a good, affordable video editor for Windows that I could try that displays the video + soundtracks and make it easy to replace the soundrack with the WAV and sync it with the video?

Thank you.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 22. April 2012 @ 08:37

AfterDawn Addict
_
22. April 2012 @ 09:23 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Try the Videohelp site for more help.
Mention the model of the cam.
http://forum.videohelp.com/

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 22. April 2012 @ 09:24

Advertisement
_
__

_
gganault
_
22. April 2012 @ 09:34 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Will do. Thanks for your help.
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert video to another format > best tool to convert .mov file for eg. sony vegas?

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork