User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 23:59
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert video to another format > blu-ray encoding tutorial official discussion
Show topics

Forums
Forums
Blu-ray Encoding Tutorial official discussion
  Jump to:

Posted Message
Staff Member

2 product reviews
_
28. March 2012 @ 00:48 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
This is the official discussion thread for the AfterDawn Blu-ray Encoding Tutorial. It is a series of guides intended to walk you through the process of preparing video and audio for authoring to Blu-ray. The following installments have been published so far:

Lesson 1 - Prepare Source Video

Lesson 2 - Create AviSynth Script

Lesson 3 - Chapter Points and Bitrate

Lesson 4 - Encode Video

Lesson 5 - Encode AC-3 Audio

Lesson 6 - Advanced Bitrate Calculation

Lesson 7 - Advanced Audio Processing

Lesson 8 - Convert Text Subtitles To Images

Lesson 9 - Prepare A Still Menu Background

Lesson 10 - Make Menu Buttons With GIMP

Please post any questions or comments here and I will try to respond to them as quickly as possible. If there is something specific you need help with, especially if it is not covered in any of these guides, I will do my best to help.

If you have Blu-ray authoring questions you may be interested in the next series of guides I am working on which cover that subject.

Rich Fiscus
@Vurbal on Twitter
AfterDawn Staff Writer

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 9. August 2012 @ 09:51

Advertisement
_
__
Ramster
_
3. August 2012 @ 19:59 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Awesome tutorial Rich...had no idea about blueray editing but thanks to you have a much better understanding...appreciate your work...Cheers
Staff Member

2 product reviews
_
5. August 2012 @ 17:32 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Ramster:
Awesome tutorial Rich...had no idea about blueray editing but thanks to you have a much better understanding...appreciate your work...Cheers
You're welcome! But just wait, what you've seen so far was just laying the groundwork for a much more ambitious project.

Valery Koval of DVDLogic Software generously provided a license for his company's EasyBD Blu-ray authoring software and two different menu creation programs (IGEditor and Quick BD Menu). Tonight I will have three more Blu-ray encoding guides added. The first deals with converting text subtitles to Blu-ray compatible subpictures and the last two cover the creation of still backgrounds and buttons for menus.

Immediately following that I will be uploading the initial parts of the tutorials I'm working on for each of the DVDLogic programs. I expect to have all that finished some time tonight.

Rich Fiscus
@Vurbal on Twitter
AfterDawn Staff Writer
AfterDawn Addict
_
5. August 2012 @ 18:04 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It's encouraging to see Staff still active and contributing new content to this side of the site regularly.

Ramster
_
5. August 2012 @ 19:52 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by vurbal:
Originally posted by Ramster:
You're welcome! But just wait, what you've seen so far was just laying the groundwork for a much more ambitious project.

Valery Koval of DVDLogic Software generously provided a license for his company's EasyBD Blu-ray authoring software and two different menu creation programs (IGEditor and Quick BD Menu). Tonight I will have three more Blu-ray encoding guides added. The first deals with converting text subtitles to Blu-ray compatible subpictures and the last two cover the creation of still backgrounds and buttons for menus.

Immediately following that I will be uploading the initial parts of the tutorials I'm working on for each of the DVDLogic programs. I expect to have all that finished some time tonight.
Look forward to your next installment ...again thanks and keep up the great work...
Staff Member

2 product reviews
_
5. August 2012 @ 20:36 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Originally posted by Ripper:
It's encouraging to see Staff still active and contributing new content to this side of the site regularly.
I'm glad to see there are still some (semi) old-timers hanging around.

Rich Fiscus
@Vurbal on Twitter
AfterDawn Staff Writer

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 9. August 2012 @ 13:07

Advertisement
_
__

_
Staff Member

2 product reviews
_
9. August 2012 @ 13:07 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
The tutorial has been updated with three new lessons.

Lesson 8 explains how to convert subtitles from text (SRT, SSA, or ASS) format to Blu-ray compliant image-based subpictures (BD SUP or BDN XML).

Lesson 9 goes into detail about creating and encoding single frame videos, something primarily used for creating menu backgrounds. The following operations are covered:
-- Using MeGUI's AVS Script Creator to select a single frame of video. This expands on the steps in Lesson 1 and Lesson 2.
-- Creating a video encoding profile in MeGUI which is optimized for a single frame source. These instructions are based on the x264 settings detailed in Lesson 4.
-- Producing another specialized AviSynth script (once again from the AVS Script Creator) to extract your single frame script as a still image, such as a PNG, BMP, or JPEG file. Such a file may be helpful, or perhaps even necessary in some cases, for designing and/or authoring Blu-ray menus.
-- Writing a simple AviSynth script for loading a still image as a video source. The resulting file can be encoded as a x264 video file using MeGUI. This allows you to use a menu background created with an image editing program like GIMP, Photoshop, or even MS Paint.

Lesson 10 is an overview of Blu-ray menu button images and how they fit into the menu design process. The following topics are covered.
-- The role of images in making buttons visible on menus and communicating information to the viewer.
-- Using the free image editor GIMP to create a full set of (3) images for a single button.
-- Using GIMP to test menu layout incorporating an extracted video frame (see Lesson 9) with your newly created menu buttons and additional elements as appropriate.

Rich Fiscus
@Vurbal on Twitter
AfterDawn Staff Writer
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert video to another format > blu-ray encoding tutorial official discussion

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork