User User name Password  

Tuesday 14.5.2024 / 17:47
Search AfterDawn Forums:        In English   Suomeksi   På svenska
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert video to another format > m2ts to x264+ac3
Show topics

Forums
Forums
m2ts to x264+AC3
  Jump to:

Posted Message
roger3
_
19. April 2012 @ 06:47 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi there, I am trying make some backups of recorded programs on my generic satellite TV decoder to my PC. I am using Hauppauge HD PVR and HDFury2 cable to capture in HD to my PC.

I am capturing with the bundled Hauppauge software to mpeg2-TS format at the highest birate (13.5Mbps). I then load the captured file into Sony Vegas, trim the adverts/etc out, export video and audio uncompressed and then use megui to encode it all into a nice x264/AAC package which gives good quality for a moderate filesize.

However I have some recordings which have Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and I would like to preserve this in my final encode. The HDPVR captures the 5.1 audio fine and it plays back in the resulting m2ts file. However I cannot trim the adverts out as Vegas will not recognise multichannel audio in imported files, and just reverts to stereo audio.

I would like to know if there is a way that I can trim the adverts out of my recordings but also preserve the 5.1 audio. I am aware that AAC does not support multichannel but I notice that megui has an option for encoding AC3.

If anyone can provide any links or guides it would be well appreciated.

Advertisement
_
__
hello_hello
_
21. April 2012 @ 07:22 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You should be able do it all just using MeGUI.

Once you've opened the original file using MeGUI, indexed it, set up the encode and saved your script, you can then use the AVS Cutter (under the tools menu) to edit it before encoding (you're basically adding the sections to the script you wish to encode while leaving out the rest).

Once you open the scrip with the cutter, a preview window will open. You can use it to find the exact frames on which you wish to cut. Once you're done you can add all the cuts to the original script (adding cuts is probably badly named as you're adding the sections you want to keep), and MeGUI will encode just those sections. The Script Cutter will also save a "cuts file" which you need to do to use it when re-encoding the audio.

Under the Audio section of MeGUI's main window there's a section for adding cuts. Use it to add your cuts file and MeGUI will re-encode the audio in the same way it encoded the video (leaving out the bits you don't want).

For the record, AAC definitely supports multichannel. MeGUI is quite capable of encoding both multichannel AAC as well as AC3 (just use the "keep original channels" option). Whether your playback device supports multichannel AAC might be another story, but chances are if it supports AAC it will.
roger3
_
21. April 2012 @ 09:37 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Thanks hello_hello, you're a hero. My only problem now, is that since my video and audio aren't separate files, I don't see how I can set the audio input in the script creator.

Any ideas?
hello_hello
_
23. April 2012 @ 23:51 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
You don't set up the audio part with the script creator.
Normally when you open a file (using the File/Open menu, not the script creator directly) and then index it the audio stream is extracted in the process. After you've set up the video part with the script creator and saved it, the main MeGUI window should have the script in the top video section and the extracted audio in the lower section. You'd use the script cutter to add the cuts to your script, also saving the edits as a "cuts file" which you'd then add to the audio section of MeGUI's main window (there's a section labelled "cuts"). Then you can convert them individually or use the AutoEncode button.

I don't work with m2ts files much, but that's the way it works for other file types. If for some reason the audio isn't being extracted when indexing an m2ts file, maybe use MKVMergeGUI to remux it as an MKV first, then open and index/convert the MKV. Worst case scenario, you could use MKVCleaver to extract the audio stream from the MKV manually, then add it to the audio section, but if you open the file from the File/Open menu MeGUI should add it for you. I can't remember if it works the same way if you open the script creator, then use it to open the file.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 23. April 2012 @ 23:56

roger3
_
25. April 2012 @ 06:29 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
Hi, I have always used the Tools->AVS Script Creator when dealing with MeGUI. I just tried File->Open with the video file but it queues something and I can't understand what exactly happens when I run the queue.
hello_hello
_
9. May 2012 @ 17:11 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
It should index the original file, extract the audio, and open the AVS Script Creator for you to set up your encode.
You'd set up your encode using the script creator as I assume you've always been doing, then when you save the script it should be added to the main MeGUI window (along with the extracted audio) for encoding.
Advertisement
_
__

_
roger3
_
13. May 2012 @ 06:35 _ Link to this message    Send private message to this user   
I know this may sound stupid but what exactly is video "indexing" ?

I still don't fully understand, so I don't really know what I'm doing. I haven't been successful in this yet
afterdawn.com > forums > digital video > convert video to another format > m2ts to x264+ac3

Digital video: AfterDawn.com | AfterDawn Forums
Music: MP3Lizard.com
Gaming: Blasteroids.com | Blasteroids Forums | Compare game prices
Software: Software downloads
Blogs: User profile pages
RSS feeds: AfterDawn.com News | Software updates | AfterDawn Forums
International: AfterDawn in Finnish | AfterDawn in Swedish | AfterDawn in Norwegian | download.fi
Navigate: Search | Site map
About us: About AfterDawn Ltd | Advertise on our sites | Rules, Restrictions, Legal disclaimer & Privacy policy
Contact us: Send feedback | Contact our media sales team

© 1999-2024 by AfterDawn Ltd.

IDG TechNetwork